X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency.
    For low end and midrange AMD is comparable or better. For high end you should be either on Windows (gaming) or not care about display at all (server).

iGPU or Radeon HD5870
    So you need to compare to a 10 years old AMD card to say NVIDIA is better? Cool story bro.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    I've been using GNOME Wayland for the last year or so and it's fine with only one crash I can remember.

Yeh, the thought of session instability potentially causing me to loose work is a frightening thought, but they've done a pretty good job of fixing the crashes.

Leave a comment:

• 240Hz
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    240Hz works fine on Fedora Workstation.
    No it doesnt.
    Originally posted by Almindor View Post

Until Nvidia follows proper standards and stops screwing around in Linux their cards will remain an unusable joke.

There, fixed it for you.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Your issue is using NVIDIA
    There is simply no alternative to Nvidia for performance, feature set and efficiency. Whether you like it or not, this is the fact .Maybe your iGPU or your Radeon HD5870 is enough for your use case, but for most people there is no alternative to Nvidia hence until wayland supports it, it will remain a silly joke.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    Until it starts working with nvidia cards, wayland will remain an unusable joke
    Until Nvidia follows proper standards and stops screwing around in Linux their cards will remain an unusable joke.

There, fixed it for you.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    240Hz works fine on Fedora Workstation.
    With GNOME I suppose

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Your issue is using NVIDIA

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    ..And today RHEL default to wayland.
    Server users around the world, rejoice!

no wait.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied
    Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
    Tried Manjaro + KDE on wayland (on nvidia, so wasn't expecting much). It actually worked really really well. I can't describe how much I've missed mixed DPI handling, it has always bothered me with X11 that I can't use a 1080 and 4k screen together with different scaling on each, but even that worked beautifully. The rendering itself seems 99% fine, there still are some very minor kinks and some software that needs updates, but really coming together now. I switched back to X11 for now, but that was mostly due to issues with vulkan under wayland.
    Just out of curiosity, what sort of issues do you see with Vulkan and Wayland?

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Well, if you are running a leading edge distro, the combination of wayland and nvidia does work, for at least some use cases, so that would mean your joke no longer remains.
    Last edited by CommunityMember; 29 December 2019, 03:10 PM. Reason: correction of minor typo

Leave a comment:

• stingray454
    replied
    Tried Manjaro + KDE on wayland (on nvidia, so wasn't expecting much). It actually worked really really well. I can't describe how much I've missed mixed DPI handling, it has always bothered me with X11 that I can't use a 1080 and 4k screen together with different scaling on each, but even that worked beautifully. The rendering itself seems 99% fine, there still are some very minor kinks and some software that needs updates, but really coming together now. I switched back to X11 for now, but that was mostly due to issues with vulkan under wayland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X