No announcement yet.

Mir Lands Server-Side Decoration Support For XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay, we now have something X11 had in 1988 ...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      On wayland? Because Mir is used to run MATE on Wayland. We are talking of the modern Mir here, the one that is a wayland compositor.
      Mir is just a shitty wayland compositor in that regard. You shouldn't need it and if it does need it that's just more shitty vendor lock in.

But lets not kid ourselves all Mir was ever about was Ubuntu gaining some vendor lock in....
      Last edited by cb88; 17 December 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Mir is just a shitty wayland compositor in that regard. You shouldn't need it and if it does need it that's just more shitty vendor lock in.
        Which display server would you suggest that the MATE project and the UBports project use in place of Mir? And are you willing and able to help those projects port to your suggested display server?

Comment

You shouldn't need it
          Do you know how Wayland works? You do need a compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
            Yay, we now have something X11 had in 1988 ...
            This feature is about the compatibility mode for Xorg applications. (Xwayland)
            It's worth comparing it with other Wayland compositors.

Comment

Do you know how Wayland works? You do need a compositor.
              Mir isn't the only compositor on the block... why would I want to use any software designed to lock me into their ecosystem on top of an open protocol...

Comment

Mir isn't the only compositor on the block...
                It is the most fully-featured one apart from Kwin and Mutter, which apparently none outside of KDE and GNOME want to touch.

why would I want to use any software designed to lock me into their ecosystem on top of an open protocol...
                Because you don't have the manpower to make your own, or add functionality you need to other compositors.

But as it is, none of the MATE team is really working on Mir/MATE integration (any example was shown by Ubuntu/Mir developers), they are probably not going to care about wayland for a long while still.

Comment

But as it is, none of the MATE team is really working on Mir/MATE integration (any example was shown by Ubuntu/Mir developers), they are probably not going to care about wayland for a long while still.
                  Agree with (and liked) the other bits from your comments. But regarding MATE's involvement, I'll just note that Martin Wimpress and Alan Pope (co-founders of Ubuntu MATE) are both Canonical employees, as is William Wold, who's doing most of the work to implement Wayland support on MATE via Mir.

Also, back in 2017, Martin Wimpress stated:

The rumors of Mir's death are greatly exaggerated. MATE is a very small team, with extremely constrained time. Implementing Wayland directly is, at our current development velocity, several years away IMO. If Mir could provide us a fast path to supporting Wayland we (and possibly other desktops without Wayland support) should explore it....Using Mir as the Wayland compositor, while still a chunk of work, is considerably less work.
                  So it seems that there's some collaboration happening.

Mir isn't the only compositor on the block... why would I want to use any software designed to lock me into their ecosystem on top of an open protocol...
                  William Wold, who's doing most of the work to implement Wayland support on MATE via Mir, stated:

The default MATE Wayland session will run Mir, but nothing in MATE should be tightly coupled to it. We want it to be possible to run all the pieces of MATE inside any compositor you wish. This is why we adopted the wlr-layer-shell protocol that came out of wlroots, and will probably use wlr-foreign-toplevel-management as well. We're on good terms with the wlroots developers, and work with them whenever it makes sense. We're committed to improving the Wayland ecosystem in general (not just for Mir based compositors).

Comment

It is the most fully-featured one apart from Kwin and Mutter, which apparently none outside of KDE and GNOME want to touch.
                    It's been a while, so they might have changed their minds, but, last I checked, the LXQt people were tentatively planning to use KWin for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                      It's been a while, so they might have changed their minds, but, last I checked, the LXQt people were tentatively planning to use KWin for Wayland.
                      Good to know. They are the only ones that seem to care about Wayland then.

Comment

Working...
                      X