No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston 8.0 Reaches Alpha With EGL Partial Updates, Headless OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 8.0 Reaches Alpha With EGL Partial Updates, Headless OpenGL

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 8.0 Reaches Alpha With EGL Partial Updates, Headless OpenGL

Weston release manager Simon Ser on Friday released the Wayland's Weston 8.0 reference compositor in alpha form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the story with Wayland compositors using Vulkan/WSI instead of OpenGL/EGL?

Comment

Anyone here using Weston for practical purposes? I've only heard of people using Sway, Gnome and KDE Wayland compositors on their desktop.

It looks like Weston might be able to provide a lightweight, Fluxbox-like experience. That would be a nice niche to fill. It would be really nice if the XFCE guys adopted it or collaborated with the Weston team and made it their compositor base for when they make a big move to switch to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        cybertraveler The XFCE founder is working on Weston. Making Xwayland better.
        Nice. Do you know if the founder is ultimately interested in using Weston code in XFCE?

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        It’s right there in the commit log.
        I imagined you snorting and pushing some glasses further up your nose after saying that.

Comment

Guys, let's do something.
          The next time there is a thread that talks about some desktop, X11 or Wayland, let's post as soon as possible before 144Hz steals our early bird position and comes back with the pro-GNOME stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Guys, let's do something.
            The next time there is a thread that talks about some desktop, X11 or Wayland, let's post as soon as possible before 144Hz steals our early bird position and comes back with the pro-GNOME stuff.
            I just added the guy to my ignore list after I realized you (I think it was you) was right about him just being a gnome troll.

The best way to handle trolls is to ignore them. If their tactics don't work, they switch tactics. If those don't work they get bored and go find another community to try and feed off. If they fail at that also... I presume they die due to energy starvation. Or maybe whatever darkness is living inside of them dies and thus the troll has undergone a kind-of exorcism and from them arises a beautiful butterfly!

Comment

Working...
            X