Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston 8.0 Bringing Direct-Display Extension, HDCP On DRM Back-End + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 8.0 Bringing Direct-Display Extension, HDCP On DRM Back-End + More

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 8.0 Bringing Direct-Display Extension, HDCP On DRM Back-End + More

Simon Ser has stepped up again to manage the upcoming release of the Weston 8.0 Wayland reference compositor. No Wayland update itself is planned with nothing real to release at this point, but Weston 8.0 should arrive before the end of January...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good article and viewpoint on HDCP by Sway developer:

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

https://drewdevault.com/2019/10/07/HDCP-in-Weston.html
      Although he is morally right, he is still practically wrong. As a user I want to be able to watch Full HD or even 4K content on Linux streaming from Netflix, Amazon, Disney, whatever. Yes, DRM is pointless. They can make illegal copies as hard as they want, but a single person/group copying a movie/episode puts it online and it gets replicated infinitely. So even a 0,00001% chance of breaking it is still enough to break it completely. It's basically like a virus where a single pathogen is enough to infect you. DRM and all efforts around it are a waste of money from the publishers. Yet they still insist on doing it. They insisted on showing anti-piracy commercials in front of DVDs and BluRays. WTF? I obviously bought it. You don't have to convince me. If I didn't buy it, I would be holding only the main video content and would not be bothered by this stupid commercial. What an irony. Yet they keep doing it with every medium.

So sure, DRM is a waste on the corporate's part. But as a user, I have to live with their (stupid) decision. They don't care about Linux, so as long as Linux makes it hard for them, I - as a user - am on the losing side, no matter how high my moral ground is.

Comment

Sure, so because media industry violates the user's rights by not allowing them to make copies, it's obviously fine to battle this by violating the user's rights even more by preventing them from watching things they have paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Sure, so because media industry violates the user's rights by not allowing them to make copies, it's obviously fine to battle this by violating the user's rights even more by preventing them from watching things they have paid for.
          A developer producing something for free for me is not violating any of my rights by not implementing something I want.

Perhaps you have different rights to me though. Maybe you have the right to spend other people's time how you wish. If so... that sounds like a super power to me: I hope you act responsibly with it.

With great power comes great responsibility

Comment

I disagree about anything with the article, media producers just want to protect their works and I don't see anything wrong with that! Yes, there are ways to get around them, but it's not a reason not to use it ... thieves enter the house even if the door is locked, but not for this reason we leave the doors open!
            Anti-piracy advertising, whose task is to educate people, is of no importance if in the specific case the content has been bought, we know how often we happen to buy some content legally, while for others we resort to piracy.
            Sometimes people should also put themselves in others' shoes and not just think about themselves.
            For years the internet has been nobody's land, where everyone feels entitled to have everything without paying, but life doesn't work like that, everything has a cost.

Comment

More DRM crap.
              Disgusting!

Comment

I'm severely disappointed they decided to engage in this bootlicking.

Then again, in a world where even the Mozilla Foundation is pro-DRM (actions speak thrity decibels louder than words, guys), I suppose I shouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                  I'm severely disappointed they decided to engage in this bootlicking.
                  If you don't like it, then don't use it. The fact of the matter is that there are several things that many people want that also require DRM, and the only thing that demanding that software lack this functionality does is inconvenience them. And before you say something along the lines of "it's to send a message", that only works for platforms with double-digit market-share.

Comment

Yes DRM sucks.

But people want DRM-protected content, if you don't like it don't pay for it. Your money is more powerful than what you say in this context.

Comment

Working...
                    X