XWayland Work Pending To Address Game Tearing/Stuttering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    The not so well kept secret is that X(wayland) will get releases when urgently needed by GNOME/Mutter. No because someone complains on Phoronix forums.
    But not for KDE/KWin, Qt, Valve, Mesa developers or anyone like that, of course.

Only gNOME matters.

(By the way, Firefox often crashes XWayland, and many GTK applications completely slow XWayland to a crawl, forcing me to use Xephyr. But I'm using Sway, not gNOME, so I obviously won't expect anyone to do anything about it.)

Comment

DanL X releases are done by X maintainers. You know those guys who spent years and years and years on this code base.
      Unfortunately there are no more X maintainers. That's kind of the problem.

Comment

smitty3268 X got maintainers. And they are gonna release when needed by GNOME.
        Maintainers yes. But no one wanted to be the release manager. Hence why https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...riven-Releases

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

But not for KDE/KWin, Qt, Valve, Mesa developers or anyone like that, of course.

Only gNOME matters.

(By the way, Firefox often crashes XWayland, and many GTK applications completely slow XWayland to a crawl, forcing me to use Xephyr. But I'm using Sway, not gNOME, so I obviously won't expect anyone to do anything about it.)
          Any people working on those projects are more than welcome to maintain X. AFAIK X is right now mostly being maintained by Fedora developers when 1) Fedora uses Wayland by default. 2) Uses GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            Any people working on those projects are more than welcome to maintain X
            X is an upstream project for all kinds of other projects and desktops. Releases should not be tied to one specific DE/compositor.

AFAIK X is right now mostly being maintained by Fedora developers when 1) Fedora uses Wayland by default. 2) Uses GNOME.
            So what? Fedora has plenty of non-GNOME spins, and timely releases of X/Xwayland would benefit their GNOME users too.

Originally posted by 144Hz
            Adam Jackson now works on Mutter. He will do a X release when needed by GNOME. That’s how it works.
            Adam Jackson was the one who recently proposed automated 6 month releases. Even he realizes timely X releases are still important and shouldn't be tied to GNOME development. Why are you too busy being a fanboy to realize this?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              X is an upstream project for all kinds of other projects and desktops. Releases should not be tied to one specific DE/compositor.
              The people maintaining X aren't slaves. If other parties have stakes in X being maintained and don't want it to be unmaintained, they should help mantain in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                The people maintaining X aren't slaves.
                And they also aren't all affiliated with GNOME or RedHat/Fedora. Plus, like I said, even the ones that are realize X is important to the ecosystem and that timely releases would also benefit their own use cases.

Comment

DanLDon’t you get the very basic facts? Only the GNOME camp spent resources to maintain X. No one else showed up.
                  Looking through the list of people making commits to Xserver and those involved in the administration of X.org, I see plenty of people with no direct connection to GNOME or RedHat. Your "facts" are lies.

Adam Jackson might initiate time-based X releases at some point but that wont change the fact that X gets releases as GNOME sees fit.
                  Actually, it will, though GNOME will also benefit from timely releases. You don't seem to get the fact that even if X releases are tied to GNOME development, no one (including GNOME devs) sees that as ideal. Not everyone is a raging fanboy like you.

Comment

Fact: Adam Jackson has been doing the last 11 releases on latest stable branch.
                    11 releases? That's not a fact unless you're counting minor point releases.
                    Fact: Keith Packard served as release manager (and prominent contributor) on Xserver 1.18 and earlier. He worked for Intel and HP. Does that mean he only bothered to make releases and contributions that directly benefited his employers? No, because that would be nonsense. Even Adam Jackson realizes that's bad software development practice. Why can't you?

sway and kwin did nothing.
                    sway and kwin are downstream users of X.org. They are not obligated to develop it.

Comment

Working...
                    X