No announcement yet.

GNOME's Mutter Adds XWayland Full-Screen Games Workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing objective about the whole Gnome vs KDE nonsense at this point of time is that only Gnome works almost perfectly with all software under Wayland.

While Kwin on Wayland is still a bloody mess with windows flickering as though having seizures, Firefox windows not loading their contents in Kwin Wayland, and Chromium (Ozone) not even drawing their windows on Kwin Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      The only thing objective about the whole Gnome vs KDE nonsense at this point of time is that only Gnome works almost perfectly with all software under Wayland.

While Kwin on Wayland is still a bloody mess with windows flickering as though having seizures, Firefox windows not loading their contents in Kwin Wayland, and Chromium (Ozone) not even drawing their windows on Kwin Wayland.
      No, it's not. Steam works much worse under Gnome's Wayland than X. There are regressions and cursor problems. It's usable, but not perfect.

Comment

The worst thing in GNOME is one thing: the javascript system that runs extensions.

I usually have Gnome crashing at least DAILY because some poor written extension that is able to cause segmentation fault to gnome-shell.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post

Yes, I'm a dumb ignorant. You are probably talking about v-sync.
          Most plasma applications with the latest plasma release (5.17.2) don't have any kind of widget jumping. Further, Roman Gilg has been rewriting kwin pretty much completely, and further patches are still to come.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            what makes you thing gtk2 or qt is not native on gnome? some brain damage? gnome executes binaries, they can link to any library they like.
            It might run on gnome, but that doesn't mean it acts native. Theming is non-existent (At least for QT applications. However i think GTK2 applications also don't get themed), and these applications will look inconsistent due to sticking with SSD in general. Plasma for example offers GTK2, GTK3, and QT theming, and in 5.17 you can sync the GTK3 colors to match the QT colorscheme. 5.18 will be getting GTK2 color matching to the QT colorscheme.

Unfortunately plasma is missing frame extents support in Xorg (CSD frames render fine in Plasma Wayland), so CSD applications don't have shadows or rounded corners.
            Last edited by Baguy; 05 November 2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

Most plasma applications with the latest plasma release (5.17.2) don't have any kind of widget jumping. Further, Roman Gilg has been rewriting kwin pretty much completely, and further patches are still to come.
              Looks pretty much the same in 5.17.2 https://youtu.be/VzHHsyqGDq0

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post

Looks pretty much the same in 5.17.2 https://youtu.be/VzHHsyqGDq0
                Are you using a NVIDIA card? On my RX 590 with the 5.4 kernel (AMDGPU), i don't get any kind of widget jumping. Try Kwin-lowlatency and set it to the nvidia workaround to see if that fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

[...] i don't get any kind of widget jumping.
                  I don't buy it. Can you screencast? Grab the window form the top left corner. It's easier to spot that way.
                  Edit. I'm not using NVIDIA, btw.

Edit 2. Looks like they just fixed this in Plasma 5.18 https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415839#c26

Videos from the bug report.

Before:

After:

Last edited by gedgon; 09 February 2020, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X