GNOME's Mutter Adds XWayland Full-Screen Games Workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post
    This is what I was expecting from it, but it feels too inferior in many aspects. Currently: performance, RAM usage, streamlined applications, probably not even single powerful native application like Krita, DigiKam, GIMP, Inkscape.
    what makes you thing gtk2 or qt is not native on gnome? some brain damage? gnome executes binaries, they can link to any library they like.

Comment

It's far more smooth on my computer with the latest Kubuntu.
      do you realize that all your noise is about your instances of ubuntu/kubuntu, not about gnome/kde in general?

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
        Disclaimer: I've been using KDE for a long time.
        that explains your zero knowledge of gnome

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          what makes you thing gtk2 or qt is not native on gnome? some brain damage? gnome executes binaries, they can link to any library they like.
          No moron. Gnome's 3 toolkit is gtk3. Just like KDE's toolkit is Qt5. Others are supported, but there's a reason applications are ported to newer ones.

Comment

do you realize that all your noise is about your instances of ubuntu/kubuntu, not about gnome/kde in general?
            Nope, it's Gnome that's broken. Already checked gnome's bugtracker pal.

Comment

firefox is written in gtk3. so, rest of your post can be scrapped, can't it?
              You can scrap your brain if you want. It's written C++, javascript, html, C and Rust.

they are not ported to qt either. porting to gtk3 is in progress.
              Maybe because they weren't Qt apps? It takes damn much time to port them to gtk3.

i'd say that firefox is more big and important than gimp. porting is slow because of lack of manpower.
              i heard that qt has better multiplatform(read non-linux) story
              Firefox isn't gtk3 application. It uses gtk3 for some little parts. The reasons some of them were ported to Qt were gtk3 downsides like braking compatibility.

you are lunatic, all of them are gtk3
              None of them is.

Comment

Gnome's 3 toolkit is gtk3. Just like KDE's toolkit is Qt5. Others are supported, but there's a reason applications are ported to newer ones.
                gnome is desktop environment. it is a tool for running applications. it never had a goal to bundle every possible application. gimp, libreoffice or firefox are not part of gnome. there is no "support" for toolkits in gnome, it runs application in any toolkit or even without toolkits at all.

apps are ported to newer ones due to same reasons newer ones are developed in the first place - to improve

Comment

Nope, it's Gnome that's broken. Already checked gnome's bugtracker pal.
                  and where is link to gnome bugtracker where it has twice memory footprint of kde?

Comment

You can scrap your brain if you want. It's written C++, javascript, html, C and Rust.
                    how is it relevant to toolkit discussion?
                    Maybe because they weren't Qt apps? It takes damn much time to port them to gtk3.
                    they weren't gtk3 apps either. it takes time because you aren't helping, i already told you they are lacking manpower
                    Firefox isn't gtk3 application. It uses gtk3 for some little parts.
                    you have mutually exclusive claims
                    The reasons some of them were ported to Qt were gtk3 downsides like braking compatibility.
                    it's a very stupid argument because qt has no compatibility with gtk whatsoever
                    moron, it's a non-exhaustive list. all of them are linked to gtk3 on my system

Comment

gnome is desktop environment. it is a tool for running applications. it never had a goal to bundle every possible application. gimp, libreoffice or firefox are not part of gnome. there is no "support" for toolkits in gnome, it runs application in any toolkit or even without toolkits at all.

apps are ported to newer ones due to same reasons newer ones are developed in the first place - to improve
                      Oh my.. do you even know what you're talking?

Comment

Working...
                      X