GNOME's Mutter Adds XWayland Full-Screen Games Workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gedgon View Post

There you have it. Always use the same tool. Ksysguard estimates used memory... well, just wrong. Since Linux 3.14 we have MemAvailable, probably the most accurate method, (used by gnome system monitor, btw). Or at least use free in both cases.

Well, of course. I've a 9 yo PC. It's not important. Take a look at the widgets, jumping around during resizing, not at the smoothness. They are not synced, so there you have your kwin vs mutter performance difference.
    Are you being intentionally ignorant or just plain dumb? For starters, KWin has configurable sync i.e. you can choose different methods that each provide different results. Since your HW is very old, it could be that the WM chose not to perform any synchronization at all or your GPU/drivers are considered incompatible. It is also possible to run KWin with compositing disabled altogether and that would always cause tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      Are you being intentionally ignorant or just plain dumb? For starters, KWin has configurable sync i.e. you can choose different methods that each provide different results. Since your HW is very old, it could be that the WM chose not to perform any synchronization at all or your GPU/drivers are considered incompatible. It is also possible to run KWin with compositing disabled altogether and that would always cause tearing.
      Yes, I'm a dumb ignorant. You are probably talking about v-sync.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        KDE and Gnome system monitors.

Someone mentioned on Reddit a while back that GNOME and KDE system monitors are counting memory differently, with the KDE one showing less memory used than GNOMEs under the same environment, so you should use the CLI tools to compare instead.

Comment

Disclaimer: I've been using KDE for a long time.

I'm not going to discuss which DE is better, this is highly dependent on personal preferences and, frankly, all of them have shortcomings and highlights.

Which toolkit has advantages and which applications are more mature is an entirely different subject.

First off, nor libreoffice nor firefox are gtk applications so, some guys here should stop spreading misleading information.

Blender is not tied to gtk or qt, so, it is neutral.

About other "professional" applications on linux environment:
          - IDE - kdevelop or qt-creator. What is really equivalent on gtk side? None.
          - Scientific math - octave, scidaviz, veusz. gtk apps on same level? None.
          - Scientific text - lyx, texmaker, texstudio. Any gtk app at similar level?
          - Photo - krita, digikam on qt/kde camp, gimp/darktable on gtk/gnome side. I would call it even.
          - Vector - gtk/gnome has inkscape. Nothing close on qt/kde side.
          - Vector technical - qcad/librecad on qcad on qt/kde camp. Nothing close on gtk/gnome side
          - Sound - this is very personal. Let's jump to next item.
          - File management - dolphin hands down.
          - Docs browsers and dicts - okular, zeal and goldendict. Nothing as good on gtk/gnome side.

So, really, use whichever DE you want, but there is no comparison at which side produces most of the more mature and feature rich applications for linux.

Comment

Eclipse, and things based on it like Dbeaver, also use GTK under Linux with true GTK widgets.

SWT binds to native GTK widgets, Eclipse even runs natively under Wayland because of this.

Comment

What I don't understand is Gnome Wayland being slower than KDE's X session. Not to mention Gnome X being the slowest. Furthermore, Gnome uses twice as RAM as KDE. After all this talking about performance and optimizations I'n seeing none. There are also no serious gtk3 applications at all while there are dozens of them written in Qt.
              1. Have you a somewhat recent source for this absurd claim? The last numbers I saw (within the last year) kde used 500mb and gnome reduced it's ram usage from 1gb to 500mb as well. 500mb is basically nothing how much does KDE now use? 100mb?

2. Even if kde would need 0 mb ram and gnome it's 500mb, how would that even matter? The moment people have to use a browser 8gb ram are gone just for the browser, so if you care about ram, just make the browsers 10% less horrible garbage software or create some internet standards like imap for website data like news-protocols or anything and you saved more ram than gnome uses.

The ram argument I could maybe see a few years ago when you had still very weak computers with only 1gb ram or so (even back then I used the old gnome on my netbook for years) but now with 16gb ram standard and gnome only using 500mb ram? Are you serious or do you just troll and want a fish?

I am happy to see your references about the big differences in ram usage, just claiming fake news / urban myths doesn't make them true!

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

1. Have you a somewhat recent source for this absurd claim? The last numbers I saw (within the last year) kde used 500mb and gnome reduced it's ram usage from 1gb to 500mb as well. 500mb is basically nothing how much does KDE now use? 100mb?

2. Even if kde would need 0 mb ram and gnome it's 500mb, how would that even matter? The moment people have to use a browser 8gb ram are gone just for the browser, so if you care about ram, just make the browsers 10% less horrible garbage software or create some internet standards like imap for website data like news-protocols or anything and you saved more ram than gnome uses.

The ram argument I could maybe see a few years ago when you had still very weak computers with only 1gb ram or so (even back then I used the old gnome on my netbook for years) but now with 16gb ram standard and gnome only using 500mb ram? Are you serious or do you just troll and want a fish?

I am happy to see your references about the big differences in ram usage, just claiming fake news / urban myths doesn't make them true!
                You're too late for the party. Go back trolling in your cave.

Comment

Well, I really wanted to give Ubuntu/Gnome a try, but there's something seriously broken. After installing my custom kernel (which works great with Kubuntu) it didn't want to start GDM. It started after fourth time.. Another problem is playing games in Steam. Deep Rock Galactic which I'm playing using Proton is running much slower than in KDE. No matter if compositions are enabled or disabled with kwin. Under Ubuntu it runs noticeably slower. There's even worse problem with Black Mesa. When I'm starting it there's a popup window which offers me to disable the application, because it takes long time to load. I'm ignoring the proposal, but then Gnome's top panel shows and the game becomes unresponsive to any input. I have to use super key to close it, but.. it doesn't entirely work as intended, because the game is cut in half and still shown on my desktop. Steam is unusable with Ubuntu. That's my conclusion. If it's Gnome problem or maybe just Canonical broke something it's hard to tell. I may try Fedora, but it's really disappointing experience with 'the most popular Linux distribution'. Ubuntu/Gnome stops Linux from showing full potential.
                  Last edited by Volta; 03 November 2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    I know this is mostly Nvidia's fault for lackluster Wayland support but it's a horrible experience nonetheless ATM.
                    maybe it's time to stop giving nvidia your money?

Comment

I'm not talking about typical applications like file manager etc. Firefox isn't written in GTK3, is it?
                      firefox is written in gtk3. so, rest of your post can be scrapped, can't it?
                      Big and important applications like Inkscape, GIMP aren't ported to GTK3 yet.
                      they are not ported to qt either. porting to gtk3 is in progress. i'd say that firefox is more big and important than gimp. porting is slow because of lack of manpower.
                      Some others like Wireshark, Audacious, LXDE moved from gtk+ to Qt. It makes me wonder if everything is fine with this toolkit.
                      i heard that qt has better multiplatform(read non-linux) story
                      I'd like to have GTK3 Firefox, Chromium, LibreOffice, but from some reason it isn't happening.
                      you are lunatic, all of them are gtk3

Comment

Working...
                      X