No announcement yet.

GNOME's Mutter Adds XWayland Full-Screen Games Workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering what Gnome version people here are using.
    Using 3.34 and NVIDIA cards with proprietary drivers, Gnome is the fastest desktop with the smoothest animations and resizing as well as lowest input lag over here. Basically Windows like but not as glitchy.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post

I just checked the mem usage on my system (arch/gnome 3.34) after a cold boot. With all these pesky evolution's/calendar/gnote/tracker/etc. processes (that I can uninstall or disable, btw) it's 459 MiB according to free, and 677 MiB according to MemAvailable.
      Not comparable. Check in Ubuntu or Fedora. Kubuntu: 460MB, Ubuntu: 1,1GB.

Last time I checked, resizing in Plasma/Kwin looked horrible, like there was no _NET_WM_SYNC implementation, or something. This is probably why it feels faster.
      I think it looks exactly the same as in Gnome, except it's super smooth.

Just click that power button in the top right corner.
      Does nothing. That's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Inkscape 1 beta is GTK+3 native. GIMP master is GTK+3.
        That's good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Not comparable. Check in Ubuntu or Fedora. Kubuntu: 460MB, Ubuntu: 1,1GB.
          What tool(s) did you used?

I think it looks exactly the same as in Gnome, except it's super smooth.
          Can you screeencast dolphin's window resizing in plasma, for example, please?

Edit:
          Nvm, here's a screencast. https://youtu.be/ypAoZ1xDDh4 Although it looks much better than the last time I tried Plasma, it still not synced and looks pretty bad.

Does nothing. That's the problem.
          Well, it's a user error, unless Canonical broke GDM somehow.
          Last edited by gedgon; 02 November 2019, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Asking a toddler to put distros in order based on what words they like best would get you better results than distrowatch statistics.
            Is that an admission that only toddlers like GNOME?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeZiD View Post
              Wondering what Gnome version people here are using.
              Using 3.34 and NVIDIA cards with proprietary drivers, Gnome is the fastest desktop with the smoothest animations and resizing as well as lowest input lag over here. Basically Windows like but not as glitchy.
              GNOME under Nvidia right now still suffers from quite a bad memory leak that can't be tracked down due to Nvidia's drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Games making use of the SFML 2D game library and OGRE are among the titles needing this workaround support for full-screen gaming.
                While it's great that this workaround exists for proprietary games, those two specifically are open source anyway, so why didn't he patch them to get proper (X)Wayland support?

Comment

What tool(s) did you used?
                  KDE and Gnome system monitors.

Can you screeencast dolphin's window resizing in plasma, for example, please?

Edit:
                  Nvm, here's a screencast. https://youtu.be/ypAoZ1xDDh4 Although it looks much better than the last time I tried Plasma, it still not synced and looks pretty bad.
                  It's far more smooth on my computer with the latest Kubuntu. I'll show you how it looks in KDE and Gnome.

Well, it's a user error, unless Canonical broke GDM somehow.
                  User error? You meant Canonical?

Comment

KDE and Gnome system monitors.
                    There you have it. Always use the same tool. Ksysguard estimates used memory... well, just wrong. Since Linux 3.14 we have MemAvailable, probably the most accurate method, (used by gnome system monitor, btw). Or at least use free in both cases.

It's far more smooth on my computer with the latest Kubuntu. I'll show you how it looks in KDE and Gnome.
                    Well, of course. I've a 9 yo PC. It's not important. Take a look at the widgets, jumping around during resizing, not at the smoothness. They are not synced, so there you have your kwin vs mutter performance difference.

Last edited by gedgon; 02 November 2019, 05:40 AM.

Comment

There you have it. Always use the same tool. Ksysguard estimates used memory... well, just wrong. Since Linux 3.14 we have MemAvailable, probably the most accurate method, (used by gnome system monitor, btw). Or at least use free in both cases.
                      You may be right. Furthermore, there are Evolution services loaded in Gnome and it seems there's no equivalent running in KDE.

Well, of course. I've a 9 yo PC. It's not important. Take a look at the widgets, jumping around during resizing, not at the smoothness. They are not synced, so there you have your kwin vs mutter performance difference.
                      Yes, I've got your point now. While those two things are no longer worrying me, I'm going to use Gnome as my main environment for now. There are things I like a lot like beautiful fonts, no unnecessary clutter, Wayland working fine so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X