GNOME's Mutter Adds XWayland Full-Screen Games Workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post

Qt has an interesting design where AFAIK it is designed to usethe lower level GUI provided by the platform by way of platform plugins.

On Linux, since there is no unified lower level gui, Qt provides its own platform plugins for X11 and Wayland. Instead of having a platform plugin to X11 or Wayland, maybe one could be made atop of GTK (More likely GDK).

I may have understand things (very) wrong though, or it may be at the wrong level of the stack.
    This is correct. On Linux, QT talks directly to the display server (X11, Wayland etc), where as on other platforms it uses the platforms native libraries.

There's https://github.com/CrimsonAS/gtkplatform which makes Qt use GTK as it's host toolkit, similar to how it works on macOS. However it's not really complete and has performance issues (maybe dmabuf will eventually help here?).

https://github.com/FedoraQt/QGnomePlatform also exists, however this works by making Qt draw GNOME-esque decorations, but doesn't actually use GTK other than to inherit settings from.
    Last edited by Britoid; 01 November 2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      SUSE enterprise is GNOME. KDE is not even part of the repository. Same with RHEL.
      Neither is used on workstations anyway, so that's a moot point.

Comment

I should know better than to respond in a thread here on Phoronix, but when will these endless random "discussions" about KDE, GNOME, systemd, PulseAudio, etc finally stop?

Comment

I assume this would affect many/all Steam games? Sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I use GNOME at home and work and nearly every application I use uses GTK3 in some way, including Firefox.

Only exception I can think of are the various electron communication apps and vscode.
            I'm not talking about typical applications like file manager etc. Firefox isn't written in GTK3, is it? Big and important applications like Inkscape, GIMP aren't ported to GTK3 yet. Some others like Wireshark, Audacious, LXDE moved from gtk+ to Qt. It makes me wonder if everything is fine with this toolkit. I'd like to have GTK3 Firefox, Chromium, LibreOffice, but from some reason it isn't happening.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

What exactly do you mean with 'slow'? Concerning RAM: currently there are still a few things loaded unconditionally that should only be loaded on demand. One example would be the several evolution services, another one Gnome Software. Gnome Shell alone stands at 130MiB right now for me, which I'd consider more than ok
              Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              I haven't used it in awhile, is it still so bad?
              Resizing of windows is very slow in X session. In Wayland it's a lot smoother, but still slower than KDE's X session. I'm using Ubuntu 19.10 with Open Source radeon drivers (GPU: RX480). Sometimes animation when opening applications menu is little too slow too. Those are my first impressions after installing it next to Kubuntu.
              Last edited by Volta; 01 November 2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                The ONLY hope Linux has of wider acceptance by the mass public and not just for hackers and nerds is to have one DE. That is now Gnome.
                This is what I was expecting from it, but it feels too inferior in many aspects. Currently: performance, RAM usage, streamlined applications, probably not even single powerful native application like Krita, DigiKam, GIMP, Inkscape. I'm not sure if this is Ubuntu or Gnome problem, but I can't even restart my computer from login screen. I have to login first.

Comment

Gnome is still not very good compared to other desktops when talking performance and resource usage. Hands down XFCE, Plasma 5.1x, LXQT 0.14+, Cinnamon (recent versions are even faster, and especially the applications pared with it such as nemo), and others consistently run lighter and feel snappier than Gnome on various hardware. They also don't have as limited of a featureset, and their applications are designed with performance and functionality in mind, rather than looks and simplicity. You will also rarely see another desktop displaying lagging animations, or slow window resizes unless there is something wrong with the hardware or the system is under too much load.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    Furthermore, Gnome uses twice as RAM as KDE.
                    I just checked the mem usage on my system (arch/gnome 3.34) after a cold boot. With all these pesky evolution's/calendar/gnote/tracker/etc. processes (that I can uninstall or disable, btw) it's 459 MiB according to free, and 677 MiB according to MemAvailable.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Neither is used on workstations anyway, so that's a moot point.
                    So, what is used on workstations, nowadays? KDE Neon? /s

Resizing of windows is very slow in X session. In Wayland it's a lot smoother, but still slower than KDE's X session.
                    Last time I checked, resizing in Plasma/Kwin looked horrible, like there was no _NET_WM_SYNC implementation, or something. This is probably why it feels faster.

[...] I can't even restart my computer from login screen. I have to login first.
                    Just click that power button in the top right corner.
                    Last edited by gedgon; 01 November 2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I'm not talking about typical applications like file manager etc. Firefox isn't written in GTK3, is it? Big and important applications like Inkscape, GIMP aren't ported to GTK3 yet. Some others like Wireshark, Audacious, LXDE moved from gtk+ to Qt. It makes me wonder if everything is fine with this toolkit. I'd like to have GTK3 Firefox, Chromium, LibreOffice, but from some reason it isn't happening.
                      Inkscape 1 beta is GTK+3 native. GIMP master is GTK+3.

Comment

Working...
                      X