Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Is The First Time We've Seen (X)Wayland Gaming Performance Match X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
    So after 10+ years of development, you can barely show even 5% gaming improvement. I think it would be hard for anyone to claim this project as being a great success.
    depends from the goal, it was not aimed at improving stuff for gaming as the game is a fullscreen application anyway, it was supposed to be neutral to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Wayland support has stalled AFAIK: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42284

"It is very unlikely that Wine is going to support Wayland in the same way as X. I worked on a Wayland driver for Wine some time ago, but discontinued the idea because Wayland lacks many features that are expected by Windows programs. [...]
      The opinion from the Wayland developers is that you should stick to XWayland. The best solution Wine could offer, would be a virtual desktop that uses native Wayland. Not sure if it is worth the effort though."
      More proof that VMs with effective graphics API passthrough (ala VirGL) are the way to go to run legacy Windows stuff
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 30 October 2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

More proof that VMs with effective graphics API passthrough (ala VirGL) are the way to go to run legacy Windows stuff
        Are you going to be the one to pay for hardware and Windows licenses for everyone who only has one GPU and no license for a copy of Windows to run in the VM?

(Bear in mind that "has a discrete GPU" doesn't mean that there's an onboard one lying fallow. I have a pre-PSP AMD system where the BIOS forcibly and irrecoverably disables the onboard graphics if a discrete GPU is found, AMD still offers CPUs in their list of products for purchase (as opposed to APUs), and it costs extra for an AMD motherboard that doesn't allocate PCI-E lanes on the assumption that you'll only need one of the two GPUs to perform ideally on a given boot.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Are you going to be the one to pay for hardware and Windows licenses for everyone who only has one GPU and no license for a copy of Windows to run in the VM?
          I said graphics API passthrough (ala VirGL) and I mean it. I also implicitly meant GPU hardware virtualization features (similar to CPU virtualization that allows VMs at all). No secondary GPU required.

Also if Wine can't work reliably with most of the applications you need anyway, which is the current situation and unlikely to change in the future, there isn't much choice.

I have a pre-PSP AMD system where the BIOS forcibly and irrecoverably disables the onboard graphics if a discrete GPU is found,
          Replacing that board is cheap.

Like "not eat out one weekend" cheap.

and it costs extra for an AMD motherboard that doesn't allocate PCI-E lanes on the assumption that you'll only need one of the two GPUs to perform ideally on a given boot.)
          Unless you are gaming with it, even a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot is enough for a secondary GPU. I know, I've been using the main (only) slot of a mini-itx for a PCIe-SAS card, and the actual GPU is connected to the M.2 slot through a ribbon adapter.

Comment

I said graphics API passthrough (ala VirGL) and I mean it. I also implicitly meant GPU hardware virtualization features (similar to CPU virtualization that allows VMs at all). No secondary GPU required.

Also if Wine can't work reliably with most of the applications you need anyway, which is the current situation and unlikely to change in the future, there isn't much choice.
            First, that doesn't account for the cost of Windows licenses that I proposed you cover the cost of for anyone who you want to switch away from Wine.

Second, Wine works quite well for what I use it for. (In some cases, modern Windows won't run what I use Wine for because I'm enjoying childhood favourites like Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, Bricklayer, or early Win32 stuff that Wine does a better job of satisfying Windows for than real Windows. Heck, GOG.com sometimes uses Wine DLLs on Windows to modernize games that depend on now-defunct APIs like DirectDraw.)

Concurrent with the deprecation of DirectDraw was the deterioration of Windows compatibility with old games that relied on this old API, with Command & Conquer, Warcraft 2, and Theme Hospital among those affected. In newer Windows versions, some games will refuse to run under a 32-bit bit depth, others showing a black screen or glitching when switched out. Re-implementation of DDraw is, as a result, vital to many communities still hosting these games. Commonly used replacements include:
            • WineD3D from Wine, which translates into OpenGL.[3]

Replacing that board is cheap.

Like "not eat out one weekend" cheap.
            I'm used to not eating out and only ever do so when someone else offers to treat me. It's much smarter on the pocketbook to just learn how to cook whatever it is I'm feeling like.

Unless you are gaming with it, even a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot is enough for a secondary GPU. I know, I've been using the main (only) slot of a mini-itx for a PCIe-SAS card, and the actual GPU is connected to the M.2 slot through a ribbon adapter.
            I do game with both native Linux games and Windows games on the same PC.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 Is The First Time We've Seen (X)Wayland Gaming Performance Match X.Org

With Ubuntu 19.10 it's the first time we have seen the Radeon gaming performance under a GNOME Wayland session match or exceed the performance found under the default GNOME X.Org session...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Wayland-Gaming
              But can Mir match Wayland performance.. now that's the million dollar question

Comment

Working...
              X