Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Is The First Time We've Seen (X)Wayland Gaming Performance Match X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10 Is The First Time We've Seen (X)Wayland Gaming Performance Match X.Org

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 Is The First Time We've Seen (X)Wayland Gaming Performance Match X.Org

With Ubuntu 19.10 it's the first time we have seen the Radeon gaming performance under a GNOME Wayland session match or exceed the performance found under the default GNOME X.Org session...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm old enough to remember when Mir was going to be default on Ubuntu 13.10. Yeah, good times. We just passed the 6 year anniversary of the first of many missed deadlines.

Anyway, good to see Wayland finally pulling it's own weight. Congratulations to a lot of developers who've put in a lot of hard work!

Comment

It was inevitable that Wayland would one day reach this point, glad to see we are finally there.
      Great job to all involved!

Comment

How is the input latency with Xwayland powered games?

Is it possible to use accelerated Xwayland with Nvidia drivers yet?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          I'm old enough to remember when Mir was going to be default on Ubuntu 13.10. Yeah, good times. We just passed the 6 year anniversary of the first of many missed deadlines.

Anyway, good to see Wayland finally pulling it's own weight. Congratulations to a lot of developers who've put in a lot of hard work!
          I remember 2007-2008 when Wayland was announced and we thought that in like 3-4 years it would replace X.Org and used by default. So if Ubuntu 20.10 ships with Wayland used by default then it's 13 freakin' years.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
            It was inevitable that Wayland would one day reach this point, glad to see we are finally there.
            Great job to all involved!
            We will be "there" when games will run natively on Wayland without expecting any form of X.
            Still, this is good news.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

We will be "there" when games will run natively on Wayland without expecting any form of X.
              I guess that many already do just by using SDL... ?

Comment

So after 10+ years of development, you can barely show even 5% gaming improvement. I think it would be hard for anyone to claim this project as being a great success.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

I guess that many already do just by using SDL... ?
                  In theory. In practice every game I know that is SDL-based uses it over X11 and probably hasn't even been tested on Wayland. If Ubuntu finally and permanently switches to Wayland by default in 20.10 then things may start moving at last.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

We would be there if Proton could be built without X dependencies

Not expecting native games doing so anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X