Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Mir Working On Replaceable Renderer, Hybrid Graphics Driver Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu's Mir Working On Replaceable Renderer, Hybrid Graphics Driver Support

    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Mir Working On Replaceable Renderer, Hybrid Graphics Driver Support

    Canonical's Chris Halse Rogers has shared a road-map for Mir (or terrain map as he prefers calling it) about their future plans for this open-source display server that remains focused now on providing Wayland support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...enderer-Hybrid

  • #2
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Mir adapting to the GNOME future... Wise choice.
    I may be mistaken, but given GNOME is a Mutter plugin which itself is a Wayland compositor, adjusting GNOME Shell to talk to Mir seems like quite a massive challenge and pointless.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Britoid View Post

      I may be mistaken, but given GNOME is a Mutter plugin which itself is a Wayland compositor, adjusting GNOME Shell to talk to Mir seems like quite a massive challenge and pointless.
      I wonder isn't Mutter the source of most of the problems with Gnome's performance? Wouldn't they have chosen this path because Mutter probably is going to be changed massively?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Mir adapting to the GNOME future... Wise choice.
        What are you talking about? Mir is bringing Wayland support to smaller desktops for people who don't want GNOME.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DanL View Post

          What are you talking about? Mir is bringing Wayland support to smaller desktops for people who don't want GNOME.
          He's the guy that thinks that GNOME Desktop is the only desktop environment out there. Little does he know there are many better choices out there like KDE or XFCE.

          Comment


          • #6
            Terrain map? I've never heard of anyone using that term for a roadmap?...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              betam4x Linux is about choice. Use whatever you like Do whatever you

              Same did the XFCE founder, he is working on GNOME now.

              The KDE founder went to Nokia serving the Lords of MS
              Then why are the latter 2 sentences pro-GNOME?

              (also, can I have the choice to disable this GNOME propaganda? )
              Last edited by tildearrow; 28 October 2019, 02:57 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 144Hz View Post

                The KDE founder went to Nokia serving the Lords of MS
                According to his LinkedIn: "He currently resides in Berlin, Germany. Having seen many poor technology choices, resulting in catastrophic business failures, he is currently focused on advising start-ups and corporations on digital transformation and in sound technical decision making."

                So you're saying MS Nokia is helping startups and corporations making wise decisions?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by betam4x View Post
                  He's the guy that thinks that GNOME Desktop is the only desktop environment out there. Little does he know there are many better choices out there like KDE or XFCE.
                  Ahem *Standard Linux Desktop* Ahem.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Ahem *Standard Linux Desktop* Ahem.
                    GhostOf*cough*S

                    ...replaceable renderer? Does that mean GPU recovery and/or switching on the fly?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X