X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by UlisesH View Post
    my only current gripe with FF on Wayland is that when it starts the screen becomes corrupted. The solution is to switch virtual desktops back and forth and then works fine.
    I haven't found that to happen on GNOME Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• UlisesH
    replied
    my only current gripe with FF on Wayland is that when it starts the screen becomes corrupted. The solution is to switch virtual desktops back and forth and then works fine.

Leave a comment:

• ernstp
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007 View Post

Really? The patent is about the hardware acceleration, not on the library used for decoding? mg
    The patent isn't about the hardware acceleration but it just happens that people have built a lot of h264 hardware and hardware is slow to catch up to new exciting opensource codec software.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ernstp View Post

With the move to less patent-encumbered codecs like VP9 and AV1 it's less common that you actually have fixed function hardware that supports decoding your codec.
    Really? The patent is about the hardware acceleration, not on the library used for decoding? mg

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by AnAccount View Post

No, you know what is funny, that you complain about something you clearly do not understand. The wayland dmabuf support is a requirement for video decoding to avoid having to avoid unnecessary copying of data to and from the GPU. So you are complaining about them actually getting closer to the thing you want.
    Ok, wayland is the newer linux game. You really do not understand what people write.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Will this mean Firefox can work in a zero-copy mode? IE it only works directly with the GPU memory buffer and that exact same buffer (at the exact same GPU memory address) is referenced by the Wayland compositor when compositing a fullscreen image to be displayed on the monitor?

... so instead of:
    Firefox edits system RAM buffer -> Firefox copies RAM buffer to GPU buffer -> Desktop compositor copies GPU buffer to its own memory region -> Desktop compositor creates fullscreen image to display

... you get:
    Firefox edits DMABUF, GPU buffer -> Desktop compositor creates fullscreen image to display based on that buffer (and others)

Leave a comment:

• -MacNuke-
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol
    Nowadays 3 CPU cores with AVX2 are able to decode any video type up to 4K 10-bit HDR 60Hz, the CPU might only have issues handling 8K videos
    With fans spinning like crazy in notebooks....

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    The Wayland support is shaping up nicely for Firefox. The last months there have been very much progress. Now you can run Firefox on Wayland it works pretty well, even though it doesn't work perfectly yet.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol
    Some notes:
    Nowadays 3 CPU cores with AVX2 are able to decode any video type up to 4K 10-bit HDR 60Hz, the CPU might only have issues handling 8K videos
    My 6700k is well overchallanged with 4k 60fps HEVC 10 bit high bitrate.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
    Maybe someday we'll get HW accelerated video decoding...
    Maybe. However what this points out to me is the value in a good GPU. Off loading to the GPU should increase performance on most systems. This is also why I try to turn people to systems with a semi decent GPU even if they aren’t gamers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X