Java Applications On GNOME Under Wayland Will Now Behave Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    If this were up to me to choose, I'd make sure Java applications break. People should move away from this cancerous platform.
    You'd willingly make people suffer, to align them with your ideals? Just what linux community needs.

Comment

Is Java still a thing? Let it die.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
        You'd willingly make people suffer, to align them with your ideals? Just what linux community needs.
        The point is that GUI Java applications are the worst. Rather than providing a unified API for widgets, like react-native (with QT ports as well), they decided to implement the GUI themselves, so that it looks like crap no matter where you run it. I guess this fits the Java ideology, but it makes everything written in it hurt my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
          Is Java still a thing? Let it die.
          I can think of two GUI apps that have no viable alternatives I'm aware of:
          • FreeMind, which is an open-source mind-mapping tool.
          • JDownloader (a download manager that waits through the annoy screens on file lockers for you, presents CAPTCHAs to you in the most streamlined way possible, and can automatically trigger disconnect/reconnect scripts to switch IP addresses to dodge download limits)
          People have tried to create alternatives to JDownloader but there just isn't the manpower and user interest to support a competitor with an equally massive list of site-specific backends where the only differences are irrelevant to the Windows user base.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Guest Mixed UIs generally looks bad. We only need one.
            The point is that every platfrom will have it's own UI, and in order to make things consistent, you should have a way to abstract all of them away.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I can think of two GUI apps that have no viable alternatives I'm aware of:
              You can add all of Jetbrains lineup to that list. If you write software for a living, there's very little that comes even close.

Comment

Abstraction is not free. That’s why nobody really did it. And won’t do it.
                Qt does a pretty respectable job, all things considered.

Comment

Abstraction is not free. That’s why nobody really did it. And won’t do it.
                  Look at Atom on Flatpak.

Atom runs on top of Electron runs of top of a sandbox runs on top of a VM-esque thing runs on top of a kernel.

Comment

ssokolow It couldn’t be worse.
                    How so? I've written and used Qt applications on Windows, KDE, and during the periods when I was trying GNOME 2 and Xfce. (I don't own a Mac) They fit in pretty damn well.

Heck, I found them to be on par with wxWidgets but without the butt-ugly API, and wxWidgets actually uses the platform's native widgets under the hood. Sure, you can always fail to implement a desktop behaviour which the platform can't force you to, but that'll never be fixable in a general-purpose toolkit.

Comment

ssokolow The problem is not solvable or even quantifiable. An increasing number of people just decide not to care about non-native systems. Look at recent trends where most downstreams just go with GTK. Even on mobile.
                      Ohhhh!

When you said "That’s why nobody really did it.", I thought you were talking about infrastructure designers, like the creators of Swing and Electron. Qt and wxWidgets are counterexamples to that interpretation.

Comment

Working...
                      X