Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java Applications On GNOME Under Wayland Will Now Behave Better

Phoronix: Java Applications On GNOME Under Wayland Will Now Behave Better

For those running the GNOME Wayland session and having issues with windows not grabbing keyboard input after a child window is closed with Java applications like IntelliJ, Mutter has landed a fix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a quite important fix for some people, hopefully it'll be backported to Gnome 3.34.

Comment

Thank you 144Hz ! That sounds really great. Do you have any idea what the performance impact could be with the patch you mentioned?

I guess that's gonna be Fedora 31 material, which makes it quite interesting for me.

Comment

Anyone remember the days when Java (Swing) was a little wonky with tiling window managers? It didn't re-parent properly or something like that. You needed to use wmname and change the X property to LG3D (for Sun's Looking Glass 3D desktop). Everyone just said "Just use a sodding normal DE like Gnome and you won't have this problem". Oh how the tables have turned

To all those Gnome 3 Wayland users out there. Just use a sodding normal desktop environment!

Comment

Ah, I'm facing this problem right now, with Android Studio. Started with GNOME 3.34. I'm glad they're working on a fix.

Comment

What does the _NET prefix mean anyway? Network? Networked Extension Toolkit? I can't think of anything but "network".
            Network Environment Tweaks?
            Normal Environment Tweaks?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              What does the _NET prefix mean anyway? Network? Networked Extension Toolkit? I can't think of anything but "network".
              Network Environment Tweaks?
              Normal Environment Tweaks?
              It's the prefix used by X11 window properties from the Extended Window Manager Hints standard that were named when it was called "NetWM".

I don't have any solid information on the name's origins but, given that capitalization, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume it's short for something like "Network". (Probably from X11's network-capable design.)

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Anyone remember the days when Java (Swing) was a little wonky with tiling window managers? It didn't re-parent properly or something like that. You needed to use wmname and change the X property to LG3D (for Sun's Looking Glass 3D desktop). Everyone just said "Just use a sodding normal DE like Gnome and you won't have this problem". Oh how the tables have turned

To all those Gnome 3 Wayland users out there. Just use a sodding normal desktop environment!
                This is still a problem. I have to use a number of workarounds in Sway, and it's not 100% there yet. Some intellisense windows disappear after a couple of seconds when trying to select a match. And menues stop responding after opening a submenu. This is not a wlroots issue though, wayfire doesn't have any of these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

This XMonad bug explains it.

The TL;DR is that AWT (which Swing depends on parts of) contains a hard-coded list of WMs rather than doing things properly.

Java GUIs in general just have a bad and neglectful history on X11. Another couple of other examples I had personal experience with were:
                  1. A tendency for latency to crop up in places where no other ecosystem has such a problem, such as split-second lag in opening menus or switching tabs.
                  2. Some kind of broken dependency which required hex-editing XINERAMA to some nonsense string in the JRE libraries.

Comment

If this were up to me to choose, I'd make sure Java applications break. People should move away from this cancerous platform.

Comment

Working...
                    X