Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waypipe Is Successfully Working For This Network-Transparent Wayland Apps/Games Proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if this could be nice in combination with Looking Glass, enabling virtual Windows gaming over network. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      It goes without saying that Youtube works because it can buffer. A "live" stream from a desktop at a high resolution is unable to buffer.
      whether you need buffering or not is nor dependent on resolution. if networked x11 doesn't need buffering then live stream doesn't need buffering
      Either disable buffering on Youtube or watch a live screen at maximum "quality" and you will see the issue.
      Also, if youtube needed to do the rendering on its servers (like you will have to with Wayland), it would quickly become unsustainable.
      people are doing massive streaming of aaa games over internet ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Stadia ). your case is much simpler
      Frankly the fact that you brought up youtube suggests you don't quite understand the general issue at hand when it comes to remote rendering a desktop session.
      youtube is the most high profile example. all its details stem from pressure to do it cheapest way on huge scale. you can select different codec type or different parameters to optimize streaming for your case. there are numerous realtime video conferencing apps doing high resolution and even with desktop sharing. and even with giving input control to party from other side of globe. and there are game streaming services, stadia isn't being the first. i think previous attempts suffered from latency, but latency is inherent to internet, on your local lan it will be completely different, not to mention that x11 over internet is unusable due to huge latency
      It looks like all Wayland users might be having to use their imaginations for remote computing if they are unable to solve this XD
      everyone is able to solve this, except people living in imaginary world where networked x11 is usable in practice
      Last edited by pal666; 02 September 2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        everyone is able to solve this, except people living in imaginary world where networked x11 is usable in practice
        The 300 users I have logging through XDMCP thin clients into linux servers would disagree about networked x11 not being usable in practice. I definitely would not want to use X11 over a broadband connection but NoMachine is amazing for just that.

I admit there are lots of problems with this setup but it's worked here for many years with the biggest problems we've faced coming from the side of the Linux community that wants to do away with X11. I can guarantee you one thing, this setup is a whole lot easier to manage than 300 individual workstations and incredibly cheaper than VDI.

With the way things are going, we will definitely need to rethink our architecture in the not too distant future (and are in that process now). Already new versions of Firefox run an order of magnitude slower than older ones. Pixel pushing definitely slows things down.

Still, on a LAN with gigabit feeds to the thin clients, it's very usable. Yes, I can watch Youtube if I want.

This post about Waypipe has given me hope that we'll be able to implement something similar in the future. A future I have admittedly been nervous about.

Comment

Originally posted by cbdougla View Post
          NoMachine
          isn't x11, so you seem to agree with me
          I can guarantee you one thing, this setup is a whole lot easier to manage than 300 individual workstations and incredibly cheaper than VDI.
          there is proper software for managing workstations like fleet commander
          Already new versions of Firefox run an order of magnitude slower than older ones. Pixel pushing definitely slows things down.
          but no wayland involved, right?

Comment

Working...
          X