Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.2 Released For This Popular i3 Inspired Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: Sway 1.2 Released For This Popular i3 Inspired Wayland Compositor

Drew DeVault released Sway 1.2 overnight as the newest feature update for this popular Wayland compositor inspired by the i3 window manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Best wayland implementation hands down.

Comment

A good 10 minute video from the person who started sway. I appreciate his work, he covers some interesting Wayland stuff here:

Demonstration of the wlroots layer shell, examples of where it's useful, and why we think it's a good idea.X.Org Developer's Conference (XDC) 201826th, 27th ...

EDIT: And I'll add, I have started to use Sway and really like it. I see the possibility of some really cool more simple shells going forward, for those that do not need full-blown desktops. Exciting times!
      Last edited by ehansin; 27 August 2019, 09:21 AM. Reason: Adding more info...

Comment

Has it improved multi-monitor support? I am a heavy i3-wm user, and seriously tried Sway about 6 months ago. I liked it, but I could not get multi-monitor to work the way I like, so I went back to i3.

If anyone is interested in what exactly I am missing, I wrote a post explaining the setup I am chasing here.

Comment

Originally posted by doragasu View Post
          Has it improved multi-monitor support? I am a heavy i3-wm user, and seriously tried Sway about 6 months ago. I liked it, but I could not get multi-monitor to work the way I like, so I went back to i3.

If anyone is interested in what exactly I am missing, I wrote a post explaining the setup I am chasing here.
          I'm highly interested on this, really.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            The 2nd most popular wayland compositor?
            First on Arch's AUR.

Comment

Multi monitor support works fine. Do not expect a graphical interface for it, but if you do have different sets of displays (for instance I use 3 different sets every day: laptop by itself, laptop + 2 external 4k at home, laptop + 2 external FHD at work) you can use kanshi to auto configure scaling and positioning.

Mixed DPI support works well. GTK3 apps work better than under gnome - in gnome, they will appear too big or small when moved to a diff dpi display, then they adjust once the whole window is on that display (if the window is too big, sometimes they won't adjust and remain unscaled). In sway this doesn't happen, any chunk of a window (if floating) on a different display is rendered at the right dpi. Not sure what fuckery it does to do so, but it does so.

xwayland support is good but not great. On scale > 1 it does look blurry, as sway has xwayland render at scale 1, then upscales or downscales the result if the display in question has different scaling. You can patch wlroots to use nearest neighbour instead of linear for sharper scaling, but this obviously works well only on integer scaling. This is a definite area for improvement - kwin-wayland does this much better. Java swing and awt apps (a lot of professional IDEs are written on these) work poorly.

On the negative side, sway devs are very hostile to any xwayland improvements beyond the most basic functionality (see scaling above). I understand the support burden they want to avoid, and the fact sway and wlroot devs want to work on what they want to work (and rightly so), but realistically I wager we're at least 10 years away from a full transition to wayland-only software and good xwayland support is a must in the meantime.
              Last edited by royce; 28 August 2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

doragasu your setup should be almost 100% supported. Mirroring does not work. Your issues with positioning are due to using negative positioning, which doesn't exist. Everything starts at 0 0.

Comment

Sway is great for basic functionality, and it mostly works for most things in general. Unless you have an Nvidia graphics card (this is Nvidia's fault for not supporting Wayland standards). I use Sway on my netbook, but when trying it on my desktop, I ran into a few issues with xwayland and wine. Stuff like that may never be fixed, so it could be a long time before wine works with native wayland.

Comment

royce Thanks! It seems I have to give it another try...

Comment

Working...
                    X