Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    I don't really care about Gnome existing
    The very lengthy comment in a GNOME article already indicated that.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

It may not be the best thing from the security standpoint, but I've been using the following script for a few years to run sudo apps in XWayland on gnome shell, including synaptic:

Code:
      $ cat ~/bin/sugo
      #!/bin/bash
      echo '$@='$@

[ -n "$1" ] || exit 0
      xhost si:localuser:root
      sudo $@
      xhost -si:localuser:root
      Save that, make it executable, and you can then run
      Code:
      sugo synaptic
      Are you sure that this trick is related to Wayland/XWayland? Me too need to type that command to launch Synaptic, and I'm surely using Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        kpedersen welcome to 2019. 2-in-1s is a thing....
        Haha. No it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's what OnBoard is for.
          But OnBoard does not work on Wayland, and it misbehaves on X.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            V1tol I tested GNOME 3.34 beta on super crappy hardware. Works surprisingly well.
            It's hardly usable on desktop, so your claims have to be verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post

As a Linux user with a touchscreen, I can vouch that Gnome is currently the best DE we have for touch users. It is also pretty good for normal laptop use as well, supporting a good number of trackpad gestures and a ton of configurable keyboard shortcuts.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                Yeah. It's always puzzled me that, when people try to foist UIs designed for desktop PCs on mobile devices, reception is cool at best but, when they try to do the opposite and cripple or de-optimize desktop UIs to be comfortable on touch devices, we're somehow supposed to be happy.
                it's always puzzled me how so many people are unable to distinguish ui from protocol

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  it's always puzzled me how so many people are unable to distinguish ui from protocol
                  If you're talking about Wayland vs. Weston, I agree.

Otherwise, I think you've misunderstood me. I'm looking forward to Wayland once there's a protocol in place for allowing the applications in a session to recover from a compositor crash or restart. My issue is with GNOME 3.x's UI direction, regardless of whether it's running on X11 or Wayland, and the knock-on effects of pushing those decisions into all the other applications and desktops which depend on GTK+.

Comment

It's perfectly usable on the desktop, it's just a different desktop paradigm. If you're used to a Windows-esque workflow (KDE, Windows, LXQt etc) you're going to find it different and somewhat alien.

I would drop GNOME if they switched to a Windows-style workflow, so I'm glad they're not.

Comment

I can back up the poster's claim as I just type this message from Gnome Shell 3.32 running on Fedora 30 using touch-screen HP Envy x360 Ryzen 15 2500u and a stylus. In fact, Gnome Shell can run on a 2007 Core Duo powered Tablet PC with lighter applications.

Comment

Working...
                      X