GNOME 3.34 Works Out Refined XWayland Support For X11 Apps Run Under Sudo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.34 Works Out Refined XWayland Support For X11 Apps Run Under Sudo

Phoronix: GNOME 3.34 Works Out Refined XWayland Support For X11 Apps Run Under Sudo

GNOME 3.34 continues to look like an incredibly great release in the performance department as well as for Wayland users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...what? I thought sudo apps worked normally on GNOME Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      They don't. I'm okay with this for backwards compatibility, but any application that wants to run natively under Wayland as root should instead use the proper mechanisms to execute things as root.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Guest did you mean desktop, tablet and mobile OS? It dominates all segments.
        "Dominate" would not be the correct term. GNOME is more prevalent because it is supplied by default with RHEL/Fedora/Ubuntu/SLES. But that has nothing to do with quality/functionality and user preference. And as a matter of fact, it is a tablet style OS.

Comment

Does this XWayland sudo work mean that it will be possible to run the Synaptic package manager on Wayland?
          I wish Synaptic was ported to Wayland, unfortunately it seems its pretty much only Michael Vogt who develops it, and that he is putting much time into it. 😢

I wish it was possible to run GNOME Wayland without XWayland and X.Org Server installed.

GNOME on Wayland works well, but some basic things work poorly, such as copy & paste which doesn't work if you close the source application prior to pasting. 😢

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
            Glad to hear that this tablet OS is getting some of its bugs fixed
            Performance on my tablet under Wayland is great, better than the default Windows 10 installation that came with my tablet. But until they add a full keyboard mode (tab, escape, modifier and cursor keys) to the OSK, it's pretty much useless on a tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Guest did you mean desktop, tablet and mobile OS? It dominates all segments.
              Only in your wet dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Not all of them do. The apps that open their UI as root (sudo) like Gparted don't work on Wayland without this. Well they do work, but you need to give it permission with the xhost command, as XWayland would reject connections to it from another user.
                Apps that don't open their UI as sudo but do use sudo for privileges escalation when needed, like pacman, work normally.

EDIT: And IMHO, it's a bad thing some apps STILL open their UI as root.
                Last edited by beniwtv; 20 August 2019, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I wish it was possible to run GNOME Wayland without XWayland and X.Org Server installed.
                  Many apps rely on X11 still unfortunately. However with Gnome 3.34 XWayland now only starts when needed. and doesn't run all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsaysthis View Post

"Dominate" would not be the correct term. GNOME is more prevalent because it is supplied by default with RHEL/Fedora/Ubuntu/SLES. But that has nothing to do with quality/functionality and user preference. And as a matter of fact, it is a tablet style OS.
                    Yeah. It's always puzzled me that, when people try to foist UIs designed for desktop PCs on mobile devices, reception is cool at best but, when they try to do the opposite and cripple or de-optimize desktop UIs to be comfortable on touch devices, we're somehow supposed to be happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X