GNOME 3.34 Works Out Refined XWayland Support For X11 Apps Run Under Sudo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyclistefou View Post

Man, nothing should run as root, actually. I love, really love Linux, but it is so sad that with so many mechanisms for security (e.g. AppArmor, SELinux, capabilities, namespaces to name a few, some of which complementary), people still have to run apps as root which means full control over the system.

Desktop Linux is the worst thing that could happen to computing security, at least in the default configuration of all Linux distributions that I know. Wayland has the potential to fix X11 security woes, and now what? People still want to execute programs as root.

Desperate.
    Can't edit, sorry. Additional comment: please checkout QubesOS and SubgraphOS... going in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post

Performance on my tablet under Wayland is great, better than the default Windows 10 installation that came with my tablet. But until they add a full keyboard mode (tab, escape, modifier and cursor keys) to the OSK, it's pretty much useless on a tablet.
      That's what OnBoard is for.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        kpedersen welcome to 2019. 2-in-1s is a thing... GNOME really shines in tablet mode.
        Until you have Atom-based tablet.

Comment

V1tol I tested GNOME 3.34 beta on super crappy hardware. Works surprisingly well.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            I don't really care about Gnome existing
            The very lengthy comment in a GNOME article already indicated that.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

It may not be the best thing from the security standpoint, but I've been using the following script for a few years to run sudo apps in XWayland on gnome shell, including synaptic:

Code:
              $ cat ~/bin/sugo
              #!/bin/bash
              echo '[email protected]='[email protected]

[ -n "$1" ] || exit 0
              xhost si:localuser:root
              sudo [email protected]
              xhost -si:localuser:root
              Save that, make it executable, and you can then run
              Code:
              sugo synaptic
              Are you sure that this trick is related to Wayland/XWayland? Me too need to type that command to launch Synaptic, and I'm surely using Xorg.

Comment

kpedersen welcome to 2019. 2-in-1s is a thing....
                Haha. No it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's what OnBoard is for.
                  But OnBoard does not work on Wayland, and it misbehaves on X.

Comment

V1tol I tested GNOME 3.34 beta on super crappy hardware. Works surprisingly well.
                    It's hardly usable on desktop, so your claims have to be verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post

It's hardly usable on desktop, so your claims have to be verified.
                      As a Linux user with a touchscreen, I can vouch that Gnome is currently the best DE we have for touch users. It is also pretty good for normal laptop use as well, supporting a good number of trackpad gestures and a ton of configurable keyboard shortcuts.

Comment

Working...
                      X