Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepping Towards Better VR Headset Support On Wayland

Phoronix: Stepping Towards Better VR Headset Support On Wayland

Sway and WLROOTS creator Drew DeVault on top of his several open-source projects has also been working on improving the VR infrastructure support on Wayland as part of contract work for Status.im. The secure communication company is looking to build a Wayland-driven VR workspace but for that the VR headset support on Wayland needs to be improved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Crossfire, please.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
      Crossfire, please.
      What are you calling crossfire? Multi-GPU support for OpenGL? The only thing specific to AMD is support for their old "bridge" connector between different cards, but I haven't seen that in a long time, so I don't think that would be very useful.

Now, you need a way for mesa to schedule frames across GPUs, share memory, etc... This is a big undertaking, and not like it is useful to a lot of people (people who have multiple GPUs tend to use them for computations nowadays, not OpenGL). So I don't see it happening unless some free software developer is sponsored to work on it.

(really, this is a *very* big undertaking, those words sound like you do not realize how big it is)

Unless you are talking about explicit multi-adapter support (where a Vulkan game knows it has multiple devices, and knows how to leverage that). Much simpler on the drivers.

Either way, I fail to see what it has to do with wlroots/sway?

Please, be specific when you request stuff, that's the least you can do

Comment

What's the story with adaptive sync support in Wayland? Looks like the effort has stalled.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          What's the story with adaptive sync support in Wayland? Looks like the effort has stalled.
          I just think some dev needs one of these... That's something I'd really like to investigate myself at some point, and have been looking at various screens... But TBH, I'm not in a hurry, as the software isn't compatible yet ^^"

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

I just think some dev needs one of these... That's something I'd really like to investigate myself at some point, and have been looking at various screens... But TBH, I'm not in a hurry, as the software isn't compatible yet ^^"
            Wayland needs some protocol extensions, but looks like nobody is working on it: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...land/issues/84

Comment

Working...
            X