KDE Picks Up Much Better GTK3 App Integration, Better Wayland Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Picks Up Much Better GTK3 App Integration, Better Wayland Performance

Phoronix: KDE Picks Up Much Better GTK3 App Integration, Better Wayland Performance

It's been an exciting week in the KDE space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will this fix the absence of a headerbar in Libroffice 6.2.5.2 from ppa in Ubuntu Bionic under Wayland? if yes, great news

Comment

GTK3 Themes using KDE's colors is the major event of the decade !!! Very Very much thanks to the devs!

Comment

Good to see some activities in kwin and Wayland. I'm a little worried about the next Plasma release as it probably will provide no real advances for Wayland. The ZWP_linux_dmabuf sounds interesting. How can you use it or will it be enabled by default? Does it need a special Mesa version?

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
          GTK3 Themes using KDE's colors is the major event of the decade !!! Very Very much thanks to the devs!
          Wonder what took them so long. Even the much, much smaller TDE team have done this quite some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Wonder what took them so long. Even the much, much smaller TDE team have done this quite some time ago.
            AFAIK, they got fed up with GNOME/GTK breaking their custom themes every point release. Now, I think it's stabilizing (GTK3, though, and GTK4 is on the horizon).

I may be completely wrong, though.

Comment

Btw, I like a lot of these improvements, but I do not like the unread indicator being removed from the notification bell. They don't even provide an optional setting to enable it once again. And people keep saying only GNOME removes features...

Comment

Yeah, it really helped that GTK3 has stabilized.

Comment

In just what world is a bell the standard notification icon?
                  In the Microsoft World it's a rectangular message bubble with a number indicating number of messages in the corner
                  In the Android World there is no unified icon and they flood your top bar with app icons
                  In the Gnome World they put a dot left of the date widget on the top bar and then display notifications in that when expanded out
                  Which leaves what? Does Apple do it? If so you can't call them an industry standard.

Furthermore I and I'm sure many other people actually like the pre-existing notifications system, and the bell would be a massive downgrade.
                  I like seeing the number of messages. I like being able to see progress in the notification icon. The old notification icon is functional, communicative, and works excellently.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Which leaves what? Does Apple do it? If so you can't call them an industry standard.
                    macOS, Budgie (Linux DE)... Those are the only two that *I* can think of off the top of my head.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Furthermore I and I'm sure many other people actually like the pre-existing notifications system, and the bell would be a massive downgrade.
                    I like seeing the number of messages. I like being able to see progress in the notification icon. The old notification icon is functional, communicative, and works excellently.
                    I too want to see the number of messages on the icon. Couldn't agree more with you! Plasma devs, please make that an optional setting at the very least.

Comment

Working...
                    X