Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston Lands A Pipewire Plug-In As New Remote Desktop Streaming Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland by itself may be nice, but on GNOME, I have no idea how people consider its Wayland session usable with the mouse cursor not on its own thread... Feels like I'm using a software cursor, and the slightest bit of high CPU or GPU usage hitches it.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

In what way Wayland is superior to x11 (or Xorg)? I don't think it is superior.
      Apart from maturity it's hard to be inferior to Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
        Wayland is technologically superior to x11 in almost every way.
        Please, you can't even query absolute window positions by design. You don't need more to know Wayland belongs in the dumpster.

Comment

In what way Wayland is superior to x11 (or Xorg)? I don't think it is superior.
          "Every frame is perfect" <-- that's one of the wayland mantras, because X11 cannot do it
          Security is a founding design principal

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
            I can be wrong but I remember hearing on Linux Action News from the PipeWire dev that it's gonna be a PulseAudio and JACK wrapper, not a replacement.
            IIRC there is a pulseaudio api, so that pulse audio apps can continue just using it (same with jack)

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              Please, you can't even query absolute window positions by design. You don't need more to know Wayland belongs in the dumpster.
              I am curious to know why you need (as a client app) to know where other application windows are? Surely that is the sole care of the window manager is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

The future of 10 years ago !
                Still better than the future of 30+ years ago, FYI

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
                  I can be wrong but I remember hearing on Linux Action News from the PipeWire dev that it's gonna be a PulseAudio and JACK wrapper, not a replacement.
                  You heard wrong, PipeWire has a "fake PulseAudio" plugin to run applications expecting Pulse.
                  For Jack, it's more complicated https://github.com/PipeWire/pipewire/wiki/JACK

Comment

In what way Wayland is superior to x11 (or Xorg)?
                    Every way.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                      beside being feature superior as user microcode already answered, X11 is a nightmare concerning security
                      "nightmare" in this specific case means "every application knows EVERYTHING you type and can see EVERYTHING that is on the screen"

Comment

Working...
                      X