Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waypipe Offers A Transparent Wayland Proxy For Running Programs Over The Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waypipe Offers A Transparent Wayland Proxy For Running Programs Over The Network

Phoronix: Waypipe Offers A Transparent Wayland Proxy For Running Programs Over The Network

Waypipe is a transparent Wayland proxy and the latest of several different projects aiming to make it easy running Wayland clients over a network similar to X11's capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. I hope it will also pipe audio from the app through.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
      Nice. I hope it will also pipe audio from the app through.
      PulseAudio is capable of doing that so it would just need to be configured to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

PulseAudio is capable of doing that so it would just need to be configured to do it.
        You beat me to it.

Now I'm wondering how pipewire is coming along these days.

Comment

Is VA-API not supported in Wayland? Even ancient intel chips can do h264 in hardware, and it could greatly reduce cost of encoding video. I think there should be more options for video formats to better suit certain applications. Sometimes it might be desirable to have lossless compression, and sometimes it might be possible to get away with a lower framerate.

I don't get why people would want to emulate least useful feature of X11 that can be done better with VNC.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            I don't get why people would want to emulate least useful feature of X11 that can be done better with VNC.
            I actually prefer that feature over VNC, because of the -X flag in ssh. Sometimes all I need is just 1 program from another system, and it's pretty cool being able to run that program as though it were local.
            Also, is VNC widely supported on Wayland? Last I heard, it wasn't, but this isn't something I keep track of.

Comment

First of all: VNC is a completely different thing.

But Waypipe is a very big advantage. Now only a patch for openssh is missing, then this problem is solved :-)

Then the only big obstacle is getting Wayland really suitable for day-to-day use without special caveats...

Comment

Is VA-API not supported in Wayland? Even ancient intel chips can do h264 in hardware, and it could greatly reduce cost of encoding video. I think there should be more options for video formats to better suit certain applications. Sometimes it might be desirable to have lossless compression, and sometimes it might be possible to get away with a lower framerate.

VNC doesn't generally pass through input events properly, nor does RDP. Touch and smooth scroll events come to mind.

Comment

In its basic form (unless you need accelerated display output), VA-API does not plug into the windowing system. VA-API works with OpenGL, and you can use it with EGL as well as with GLX/DRI.

Comment

Oh no, how should people complain about Wayland if this point is addressed now? ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X