Xfway Aims To Provide A Wayland Compositor Inspired By Xfce's Xfwm4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Unless a user is openly hostile and threatens other members, what's the point in doing either?
    Getting rid of an annoying idiot that posts 100% certified bullshit every fucking time and trolls consistently?

I mean I understand that you personally might not care, but it's not "wrong" to just shut him up.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Getting rid of an annoying idiot that posts 100% certified bullshit every fucking time and trolls consistently?

I mean I understand that you personally might not care, but it's not "wrong" to just shut him up.
      It's a slippery slope. It might start with him, next you know people get banned for simply having unpopular opinions while being factually correct.

Comment

It's a slippery slope. It might start with him, next you know people get banned for simply having unpopular opinions while being factually correct.
        Size matters.

On small communities such actions will be easily noticeable. For example I still get notifications that heirndl or something has quoted me, and sometimes he likes my posts, but I never see any of his posts anywhere, so I'm strongly suspecting he got shadowbanned too (and while he is usually on my side he does go way too hard on people so I still am ok with his fate)

Also on small communities it's very important to ban idiots and disruptive members because it takes only few people to ruin the community (i.e. have everyone with a brain just leave) and turn it into a idiot-only shitshow like Slashdot for example.

On larger communities on the other hand both metrics are reversed.

You can literally have thousands of dissidents just "disappear" and most of the population won't just notice from their own surroundings (so you can just feed them bullshit with mass media and get away with it).

And of course to actually ruin a large community/population it does take a monumental concerted effort that is well out of reach of any idiot or even group of idiots.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 29 June 2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Wake me up when Enlightenment ever drops their finished Desktop Environment. That was the best one I used back in the day at E14/E15. Back when compviz was coming up and trying to do hardware accelerated graphics effects. Xfce is a great starting point for these efforts as it is a solid base. Much less cruft than the folks at Gnome or KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            I think he was just shadowbanned.
            if it's true that he was shadowbanned, that's screwed up. The only place I know where people are mistreated like that is Zuckerberg's failed empire.
            Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            I don't see what's wrong in shadowbanning. If it keeps the user from making a new account to come back (which is what happens in most cases if you just ban), that's a "mission accomplieshed".
            Whether shadowbanning is wrong or not depends on whether the end justifies the means I guess.

And yes, shadowbanning is seriously screwed up, and a number of other places also use it.

Comment

Working...
            X