KDE's Night Color Feature Being Ported From Wayland To X11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    I guess this is a great reason not to use KDE. It's not a X11 desktop environment anymore.
    KDE on X11 works great.

It also works great on Wayland, only reason I'm not using it is because it will fail to resume if I shut down the screen with AMD cards.

Comment

So when will Kwin/Plasma run (edit)ON WAYLAND(/edit) on Nvidia's proprietary driver?
      Afaik it was supposed to happen with Plasma 5.16 but it doesn't work.
      Last edited by cl333r; 25 June 2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And a way to make the notification history interactive. For example, if I missed a notification about updates, I can't click it in the history list to open the Open Software Center.
        Oh, yes, I noticed that too and it seemed to me that all notifications in history are unclickable. Hope they fix this too.

Comment

They should have made that Night Color thing an effect in the first place.

Comment

But why? X11 is dead, right, so why put effort in porting this feature then?
            Dead? It is still used by almost all DEs by default, this does not mean being dead. I agree that Wayland is the future, but Xorg will be there and will be used for at least 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Dead? It is still used by almost all DEs by default, this does not mean being dead. I agree that Wayland is the future, but Xorg will be there and will be used for at least 10 years.
              I didn't mean dead as in "it's not maintained/used anymore" but as in "it has no future". Maybe I should've used "dying" instead.

Comment

But why? X11 is dead, right, so why put effort in porting this feature then?
                Ah, really...
                Valve Is Funding Improvements To KDE's KWin & More Work On X.Org

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
                  They didn't develop it for X11 because they have a feature-freeze policy regarding X11, which means no new features are developed for X11 and all such effort goes to Wayland. X11 only gets fixes. Of course, sometimes they push this policy aside to implement one feature or another, like this one.
                  That's not what the policy says. New features need to work on Wayland first, X11-exclusive features are rejected.

Comment

Considering the pile of shit that the Steam client and its runtime are, I wouldn't say Valve actions can be used to say what is good and what isn't.

Comment

It's good they are bringing stuff to X session. Wayland one is the way forward, but is still plagued by major bugs and missing features to switch to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X