SDL2 Adds Wayland HiDPI Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Resources are already pooled on mutter. I can’t ask for more.
    That's a lie. Pooled resources mean compositors have a shared base. Something like libinput is pooled. Mutter itself is not. wloorts can be potentially pooled, but compositors would need to use it, for it to help. As it stands now, resources pooling is quite poor.
    Last edited by shmerl; 12 June 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

That's a lie. Pooled resources mean compositors have a shared base. Something like libinput is pooled. Mutter itself is not. wloorts can be potentially pooled, but compositors would need to use it, for it to help. As it stands now, resources pooling is quite poor.
      You are wasting your time with the troll

Comment

I don't have an HiDPI monitor, but why a scaling factor is needed at all? Just setting the correct DPI value it wouldn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
          You are wasting your time with the troll
          Yeah, that's quite clear he is a troll by now.

Comment

'everyone is for themselves, because all the burden is on compositors to implement core system features. That's why things are so excruciatingly slow with switch to Wayland'
            Firefox and Chromium are not slow at getting to native Wayland because there are different compositors to target. They are slow moving to modern widgets and components which are Wayland ready. At least, this is how I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              This is really good news. One step closer to having acceptable fractional scaling support. I hope more steam games pick up more recent versions of SDL (or use the runtime one to begin with) so we can use the wayland backend.
              If the games you're thinking about are not linking SDL2 statically (which was generally illegal with the SDL1), you should be able to swap out the SDL2 shared library since its API is pretty stable. I may be wrong though. Also, this may depend on the Steam runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Fedora keeps pushing wayland. Ubuntu keeps polishing x11. And third parties like SDL helps as well. Next Fedora and Ubuntu is all we need. Small steps on drivers, the desktop and the games support. Giant leap for Linux.
                *Cough*Standard Linux Desktop*cough*

Comment

It's not about Fedora or Ubuntu. It's about compositors. The benefit of Xorg (despite all of its mess) - everyone works on the same thing, so efforts are pooled. In Wayland's world - everyone is for themselves, because all the burden is on compositors to implement core system features. That's why things are so excruciatingly slow with switch to Wayland. DEs are still basically not ready, and modern features take years to materialize.

For Mutter, KWin, Sway and etc. it would be good if the amount of non shared effort was reduced.
                  Isn't that what Mir is for?
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 13 June 2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that's quite clear he is a troll by now.
                    Yeah, he's basically debianxfce's cousin

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Isn't that what Mir is for?
                      I don't think so. Mir itself is a compositor, not a sharable compositor base. I.e. it's too high level. wlroots is more like what's needed. And if compositor developers don't like it, let them come together and make something else that's truly shared. It's seriously what's needed to speed up Wayland switch.

Comment

Working...
                      X