Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.17 To Properly Support Screen Sharing On Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.17 To Properly Support Screen Sharing On Wayland

Sadly it didn't make it in time for the upcoming KDE Plasma 5.16 release, but come Plasma 5.17 there will be working screen sharing support under Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Wayland-Share

• BOYSSSSS
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

The one on GOL is not wrong, but it only represents gamers and not even half of the Linux users are gamers.
    Originally posted by BOYSSSSS View Post

That's not how I would have put it, but yes it's not representative of the average Linux user, more like the average Linux user that plays games and follows GOL.
    I already said that.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BOYSSSSS View Post

If you have a better statistics from a different site and the one on GOL is wrong, by all means do share it with us.
    The one on GOL is not wrong, but it only represents gamers and not even half of the Linux users are gamers.

Leave a comment:

• BOYSSSSS
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

He linked to statistics on the Gaming on Linux website. Do non-gamers create profiles on that site as well?
    If you have a better statistics from a different site and the one on GOL is wrong, by all means do share it with us.

Leave a comment:

• Terrablit
    replied
    Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

This is actually one of the most underlooked negatives I see with Wayland. There is no single common wayland implementation but each DE develops their own. Canonical took the heat for Mir but what Gnome and KDE are doing is not that far from that. They are developing their own thing separately. At least they share a common protocol. Anyway with X there is one implementation. Any fix and improvement benefits all DEs. With wayland this not the case but I see noone protest about it.
    This is also wrong. In many ways. First off, it's not that simple to say that everything is implemented separately. A fair bit of user functionality can be split off into separate projects if anyone wanted. Second, the split was already there. It was just split differently. I don't think you realize how much all the different compositors, toolkits and DEs were doing before. There were plenty of bugs and issues that popped up in several DEs and WMs. X didn't abstract as much of modern desktop usage as you seem to think it did. The wayland approach is actually a lot simpler.

Third, there's nothing that prevents projects from using other people's code. Libwayland-server exists for using code from the reference implementation of Wayland. And anyone could use Gnome or KDE libraries. But just because a library exists doesn't mean people like to use it. We had two libraries for X clients, more than a dozen libc implementations, etc. There's plenty of opportunity to share code if people aren't so opinionated about how the libraries are implemented. Wayland didn't change anything in that regard.

Fourth, Canonical got trashed about Mir because they took a lot of Wayland work, trashed on the project with a bunch of lies, and then went off to implement something that was pretty much the same thing but under their control instead of being a community project. They also claimed a lot of credit for things implemented by other people as Mir-specific features. Like libhybris. The problem wasn't the competing implementation so much as the competition tactics. You'll note that it wasn't a major problem for them to bridge to Wayland later because it wasn't that different of a product in the end.

Fifth, Wayland implementations are actually standardizing a lot about expected behavior. It's a natural continuance of initiatives like Freedesktop (XDG). But it's being planned out and discussed simultaneously.

Let's not pretend like X was a big, harmonious party because it wasn't. It was a massive, uncontrolled shitshow.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Originally posted by Terrablit View Post
    Even if we ignored dxfce's bad math and logic, it's relevant that many of the remaining DEs or WMs in the pie don't even implement Wayland.
    This is actually one of the most underlooked negatives I see with Wayland. There is no single common wayland implementation but each DE develops their own. Canonical took the heat for Mir but what Gnome and KDE are doing is not that far from that. They are developing their own thing separately. At least they share a common protocol. Anyway with X there is one implementation. Any fix and improvement benefits all DEs. With wayland this not the case but I see noone protest about it.
    Last edited by zoomblab; 05-28-2019, 06:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Is there a way to block/ignore their posts? It's become pretty bad lately. Not sure if this forum supports such though.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Already worked on GNOME for a looong time. So most users already got it covered.
    how to do that on Gnome?
    under Wayland as well?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Citan
    replied
    debianxfce retardxfce Children would you mind doing your primary school things elsewhere?
    You don't bring anything useful to the discussion and degrade the ambiance on top of that.

Michael ngraham sorry for noobish question but in the end what can one actually do with current stable KDE?
    I've been keeping a x11 KDE5 because I'm among the cowards who don't want to face new tech beta-testing XD, but if you can now, for example, use a GUI in a remote Windows/Linux computer to access your own KDE desktop it would be worth migrating to WayLand (and bear with whatever problem I may encounter).

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Still no Gimp 2.10 xcf thumbnail file support in dolphin and gwenview by kf5-kimageformats

Leave a comment:

Working...
X