X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by mroche View Post

Outside of the Wayland fiasco (EGL vs GBM) can you define NVIDIA’s broken drivers?
    Not having their code in upstream kernel which results in not properly supporting DRM/KMS (which results in a long list of problems starting with lack of proper PRIME support) and etc. All that comes from the same primary problem - Nvidia don't care about doing proper Linux driver development. And such royally broken driver situation is something Linux users should simply avoid.

Leave a comment:

• mroche
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

You can, because Nvidia ignores Linux. It's not the job of compositor developers to clean up the mess that Nvidia created. I have no respect for Nvidia and their practices, but if you are buying their hardware with broken drivers - do it at your own risk. That's my point. Developers should not support that in Wayland case.
    Outside of the Wayland fiasco (EGL vs GBM) can you define NVIDIA’s broken drivers? I haven’t had a problem in several years using their driver for multiple cards on my workstation for computer graphics work (an industry where AMD GPU’s will not be making a surge in any time soon). If you’re referring to their choices of ending support for “older” hardware or refusing to open source the driver, that’s one thing. But it’s also their prerogative as a company to choose what they support and for how long. Doesn’t mean I like it, but I accept that’s the way things are for the time being. As it is on X, the stuff works great.

Cheers,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• Vasant1234
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

As much as I love X, networking should not be a part of your windowing system, and solutions like VNC are the right way to go.
    The only reason it was part of the original design was that the prominent computer vendors 30 years ago wanted to sell thin client solution. You will like this solution https://volkspc.org/MicroXwin/.
    There is not network, no protocol but it still provides Xlib compatibility.

Leave a comment:

• Duve
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    My "Wayland itch" is Wayland itself, and the solution to it would be to get rid of the whole thing entirely. X is the killer app of proper u*ix systems, and without it, operating systems such as macOS might start looking competitive, especially considering how Poettering has a boner for their design and tries to change the userspace to become a clone of macOS.

I think a better solution than Wayland would be to remove unnecessary features from X (like networking among other things) and make it more maintainable. Enforcing hardware acceleration isn't that great of an idea, while X allows to change compositors on the fly. I like my display with low input latency, VSYNC is better enabled on a per-application basis. I remember wasting like an hour to get compton to work the way i wanted it to just to see that it provides me no benefit and worse performance. Not everyone drags windows on top of each other all the time.
    The biggest problem with that is that with X11 anything done to improve it at this point would basically break spec. Which also means that some of the problems that you have in x11 are actually baked into the protocol, and to be frank if you seen the X11 protocol that's a lot of stuff to check and rewrite. A good example of this is actually a lot of the security concerns that x11 has, most of the issues are actually with protocol and to fix them would mean to break the protocol.

At this point it's simply better to come up with a clean solution to a lot of issues that we have with X11 then to simply keep repairing it, because refactoring all of the code would take a lot of time and you would be forced to break a lot of stuff. Which in many ways Wayland is.

Leave a comment:

• Kimmono
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

It's delusional to think you can ignore Nvidia users, especially when AMD doesn't have equivalent products in the higher end. Maybe you can call Nvidia an outlier when it comes to Wayland, but calling the hardware defective is wishful thinking from an Nvidia hater.
    AMD maybe does not have something to match all Nvidia products, but Radeon VII is a pretty good product running on an open source stack.

Also new Radeon cards are on their way, even if they are rumoured to be to be less impressive than the first rumours out there.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

It's delusional to think you can ignore Nvidia users, especially when AMD doesn't have equivalent products in the higher end. Maybe you can call Nvidia an outlier when it comes to Wayland, but calling the hardware defective is wishful thinking from an Nvidia hater.
    You can, because Nvidia ignores Linux. It's not the job of compositor developers to clean up the mess that Nvidia created. I have no respect for Nvidia and their practices, but if you are buying their hardware with broken drivers - do it at your own risk. That's my point. Developers should not support that in Wayland case.

Leave a comment:

• boeroboy
    replied
    No X2go (or any NX protocol) support. Another solution for a problem that didn't exist. I still stick with KDE + Xorg + Compiz and I have no need to switch.

Leave a comment:

• WebMac
    replied
    Originally posted by andreano View Post
    Is there a wayland compositor with blue light reduction in the evening? I want that.
    In KWIN it's built-in as well.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    It's actually something that can be ignored, since users have the option of getting Wayland compatible hardware (and Nvidia can be treated as defective hardware and outlier case).

Leave a comment:

• zbyszek
    replied
    Originally posted by andreano View Post
    Is there a wayland compositor with blue light reduction in the evening? I want that.
    gnome-shell now has that built-in. Not sure about others.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X