No announcement yet.

Prolific Red Hat Developer Starts Up "Wayland Itches" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nViidia is the main itch here but thats not like a small itch.

Comment

My little Wayland annoyance is the script I use to move between workspaces with a left/right nudge on a tiltable mouse wheel depends on xdotool and xbindkeys, which don't work on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post

Why can't you just use a local browser/editor along with SSH?
        Maybe working remote. Don't want to expose those things to the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
          network tunneling over ssh, so that i can use GVIM or firefox from my server. firefox so that I can setup those odd things that only have a web interface for configuration (cups, unifi, etc.) and gvim because it's better than vim in a terminal.
          As much as I love X, networking should not be a part of your windowing system, and solutions like VNC are the right way to go.

Comment

My "Wayland itch" is Wayland itself, and the solution to it would be to get rid of the whole thing entirely. X is the killer app of proper u*ix systems, and without it, operating systems such as macOS might start looking competitive, especially considering how Poettering has a boner for their design and tries to change the userspace to become a clone of macOS.

I think a better solution than Wayland would be to remove unnecessary features from X (like networking among other things) and make it more maintainable. Enforcing hardware acceleration isn't that great of an idea, while X allows to change compositors on the fly. I like my display with low input latency, VSYNC is better enabled on a per-application basis. I remember wasting like an hour to get compton to work the way i wanted it to just to see that it provides me no benefit and worse performance. Not everyone drags windows on top of each other all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              nViidia is the main itch here but thats not like a small itch.
              It's actually something that can be ignored, since users have the option of getting Wayland compatible hardware (and Nvidia can be treated as defective hardware and outlier case). However if compositors don't work at all - too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                My "Wayland itch" is Wayland itself, and the solution to it would be to get rid of the whole thing entirely. X is the killer app of proper u*ix systems, and without it, operating systems such as macOS might start looking competitive, especially considering how Poettering has a boner for their design and tries to change the userspace to become a clone of macOS.

I think a better solution than Wayland would be to remove unnecessary features from X (like networking among other things) and make it more maintainable. Enforcing hardware acceleration isn't that great of an idea, while X allows to change compositors on the fly. I like my display with low input latency, VSYNC is better enabled on a per-application basis. I remember wasting like an hour to get compton to work the way i wanted it to just to see that it provides me no benefit and worse performance. Not everyone drags windows on top of each other all the time.
                Things like hybrid graphics and vsync can never work properly and as great as they should with X's design.

If you started removing everything from X that's broken you'd end up with Wayland.

Comment

So this seems like a good thing in general, but my skeptical side has to point out that so far this has amounted to:

Him finding out one thing was already fixed.
                  Adding virtualbox to a pre-existing whitelist in mutter.
                  Opening up 3 bugs for Firefox - which i assume he's not working on himself.

Not exactly an awe-inspiring project to date.

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
                    network tunneling over ssh, so that i can use GVIM or firefox from my server. firefox so that I can setup those odd things that only have a web interface for configuration (cups, unifi, etc.) and gvim because it's better than vim in a terminal.
                    I would just tunnel those http ports over SSH to local computer's ports.

Comment

Because XFCE4 I've never used wayland...

Comment

Working...
                      X