Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prolific Red Hat Developer Starts Up "Wayland Itches" Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Is there a wayland compositor with blue light reduction in the evening? I want that.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Britoid View Post

      Things like hybrid graphics and vsync can never work properly and as great as they should with X's design.

      If you started removing everything from X that's broken you'd end up with Wayland.
      I'm not saying that everything wrong with X should be removed, just the worst offenders that might have made sense in the 80s but are a burden now, including the networking part. As for things such as hybrid graphics, I just disavow of them (just like how I disavow HiDPI), considering how broken most implementations are on the hardware level, and VSYNC is pretty much perfect with X if you know how to set vblank_mode (or use a compositor if you really hate yourself). I think keeping the flexibility (as well as the name and the cool original logo) is what's important for me. The fact that Wayland tries to "secure" itself down to the point where retaining basic X functionality (can't move the pointer or keep it inside a window, desktop recording is complex) requires implementing a set of extensions in the window manager (think of how this is supposed to work with suckless approach to things, an equivalent of dwm would be completely broken with Xwayland stuff) is just sad.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

        I'm not saying that everything wrong with X should be removed, just the worst offenders that might have made sense in the 80s but are a burden now, including the networking part. As for things such as hybrid graphics, I just disavow of them (just like how I disavow HiDPI), considering how broken most implementations are on the hardware level, and VSYNC is pretty much perfect with X if you know how to set vblank_mode (or use a compositor if you really hate yourself). I think keeping the flexibility (as well as the name and the cool original logo) is what's important for me. The fact that Wayland tries to "secure" itself down to the point where retaining basic X functionality (can't move the pointer or keep it inside a window, desktop recording is complex) requires implementing a set of extensions in the window manager (think of how this is supposed to work with suckless approach to things, an equivalent of dwm would be completely broken with Xwayland stuff) is just sad.
        VSync is somewhat slower in X because compositors have to grab the buffers, where as in Wayland clients are rendering directly to them. and anyway, hybrid graphics exists and will continue to exist, whether or not you use it.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          nViidia is the main itch here but thats not like a small itch.
          nvidia is not an itch, it's a rash. And you know what the doctor says about rashes ;-)

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by andreano View Post
            Is there a wayland compositor with blue light reduction in the evening? I want that.
            gnome-shell now has that built-in. Not sure about others.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              It's actually something that can be ignored, since users have the option of getting Wayland compatible hardware (and Nvidia can be treated as defective hardware and outlier case).
              It's delusional to think you can ignore Nvidia users, especially when AMD doesn't have equivalent products in the higher end. Maybe you can call Nvidia an outlier when it comes to Wayland, but calling the hardware defective is wishful thinking from an Nvidia hater.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by andreano View Post
                Is there a wayland compositor with blue light reduction in the evening? I want that.
                In KWIN it's built-in as well.

                Comment


                • #28
                  No X2go (or any NX protocol) support. Another solution for a problem that didn't exist. I still stick with KDE + Xorg + Compiz and I have no need to switch.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by DanL View Post

                    It's delusional to think you can ignore Nvidia users, especially when AMD doesn't have equivalent products in the higher end. Maybe you can call Nvidia an outlier when it comes to Wayland, but calling the hardware defective is wishful thinking from an Nvidia hater.
                    You can, because Nvidia ignores Linux. It's not the job of compositor developers to clean up the mess that Nvidia created. I have no respect for Nvidia and their practices, but if you are buying their hardware with broken drivers - do it at your own risk. That's my point. Developers should not support that in Wayland case.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by DanL View Post

                      It's delusional to think you can ignore Nvidia users, especially when AMD doesn't have equivalent products in the higher end. Maybe you can call Nvidia an outlier when it comes to Wayland, but calling the hardware defective is wishful thinking from an Nvidia hater.
                      AMD maybe does not have something to match all Nvidia products, but Radeon VII is a pretty good product running on an open source stack.

                      Also new Radeon cards are on their way, even if they are rumoured to be to be less impressive than the first rumours out there.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X