Wayland Has A Color Manager Calibration Protocol In The Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Wayland core is deliberately simple so additional protocols can cover things like color calibration. If a core protocol includes additional features, it is hard to replace them as needs evolve with time because of compatibility requirements. This is why X11 protocol couldn't just be extended forever.
    Exactly - the core doesn't even have protocols required for maximization and minimization, since it can be used it embedded and automotive contexts where there's absolutely no need for stuff like that. This is actually one of the strengths of Wayland - although they haven't avoided problems in core, it's in way better shape than X ever was.

Comment

Does Wayland have a user-space management/configuration tool?

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post
        Exactly - the core doesn't even have protocols required for maximization and minimization, since it can be used it embedded and automotive contexts where there's absolutely no need for stuff like that. This is actually one of the strengths of Wayland - although they haven't avoided problems in core, it's in way better shape than X ever was.
        No that's precisely why it's crippled garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin A. View Post
          Does Wayland have a user-space management/configuration tool?
          Wayland is a protocol, so no, because what would it even mean? Compositors like Mutter, KWin, Sway, etc. usually have some though.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

KDE has Night Light feature since 5.12 https://kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.12.0.php

"Wayland-only Night Color feature that lets you adjust the screen color temperature to reduce eye strain"
            Why is it Wayland-only? Can't it be implemented under the X11 compositor as a KWin effect?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Why is it Wayland-only?
              Because on Xorg people can use Redshift.
              There is also a Plasma 5 addon to control Redshift (on Xorg) https://store.kde.org/p/998916/

Comment

It's a protocol that should be used by color calibration applications to ask a Wayland compositor to display a special window. The user will place the physical color calibration device on this window. Then the application can alter the color of this window with RGB triplet numbers.
                This special window will be ignoring any existing color calibration settings due to obvious reasons.
                I know how color calibration works I do calibrate my screens from time to time. I just wasn't sure where this fits. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Wayland core is deliberately simple so additional protocols can cover things like color calibration. If a core protocol includes additional features, it is hard to replace them as needs evolve with time because of compatibility requirements. This is why X11 protocol couldn't just be extended forever.
                  XMPP did something similar, but they defined profiles which were sets of extensions meant to provide some functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I know how color calibration works I do calibrate my screens from time to time. I just wasn't sure where this fits. Thanks for the explanation.
                    Apparently Wayland does not allow color calibration applications to work, yet. Or at least so says the commit message.

Comment

Apparently Wayland does not allow color calibration applications to work, yet. Or at least so says the commit message.
                      I don't care much about Wayalnd because, imho, it's far from ready. But when it comes to color calibration, it's not like there's an abundance of color calibration applications for X anyway.
                      I just calibrate on Windows and apply the resulting ICC profiles to Linux afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                      X