Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Has A Color Manager Calibration Protocol In The Works

Phoronix: Wayland Has A Color Manager Calibration Protocol In The Works

The latest Wayland protocol in the works is a color manager calibration protocol...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this just calibration, or could it be used to pacify the bores I hear (read?) on Reddit who seem to take great delight in saying they won't switch to a Wayland backend because of the lack of Redshift? Or, to put it another way, could this lead to a Redshift-like solution on Wayland?

I know next to nothing about Redshift, but I'm tired of those comments, and I'd be happy if the end is in sight for this particular criticism of Wayland.

Comment

I'm not sure what this is supposed to achieve. Per-window color space maybe?

Comment

Wayland is really strong however Linux developers are retarded on its integration.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Is this just calibration, or could it be used to pacify the bores I hear (read?) on Reddit who seem to take great delight in saying they won't switch to a Wayland backend because of the lack of Redshift? Or, to put it another way, could this lead to a Redshift-like solution on Wayland?

I know next to nothing about Redshift, but I'm tired of those comments, and I'd be happy if the end is in sight for this particular criticism of Wayland.
          I've never even heard of Redshift until now but there is a similar option in GNOME (at least as implemented in Ubuntu) called Night Light and it works perfectly well with Wayland, so I'm not sure what exactly is the problem.

Comment

KDE has Night Light feature since 5.12 https://kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.12.0.php

"Wayland-only Night Color feature that lets you adjust the screen color temperature to reduce eye strain"

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              I'm not sure what this is supposed to achieve. Per-window color space maybe?
              It's a protocol that should be used by color calibration applications to ask a Wayland compositor to display a special window. The user will place the physical color calibration device on this window. Then the application can alter the color of this window with RGB triplet numbers.
              This special window will be ignoring any existing color calibration settings due to obvious reasons.

Comment

I've been using Redshift with Sway without any problems for the last two years or so, so I don't know what those people are complaining about.

Comment

I'm really surprised that colour calibration and management for display devices wasn't included in the Wayland project. Seems rather backwards considering today's media and displays with various colour spaces... We can't assume all devices render according to sRGB.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
                    I'm really surprised that colour calibration and management for display devices wasn't included in the Wayland project. Seems rather backwards considering today's media and displays with various colour spaces... We can't assume all devices render according to sRGB.
                    Wayland core is deliberately simple so additional protocols can cover things like color calibration. If a core protocol includes additional features, it is hard to replace them as needs evolve with time because of compatibility requirements. This is why X11 protocol couldn't just be extended forever.

Comment

Working...
                    X