No announcement yet.

"SPURV" Containerized Android Allows Running Apps From Wayland Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "SPURV" Containerized Android Allows Running Apps From Wayland Linux Desktop

Phoronix: "SPURV" Containerized Android Allows Running Apps From Wayland Linux Desktop

SPURV is a new open-source initiative out of Collabora for "running Android next to Wayland" with the Android app windows being rendered alongside Wayland Linux applications and having full 3D acceleration support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems like a different approach than Anbox. But not sure which one is better/more compatible/faster.

Comment

That name sounds so much like SPIR-V...

Comment

systemd-nspawn <3

Comment

The kernel has many patches for iMX devices (and the instructions are also to deploy on iMX) ... it would be nice to have a clear view what platforms you can run this on atm, and what are the requirements for running on a different platform.

Comment

I think this would be a good fit for Librem 5.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              That name sounds so much like SPIR-V...
              To me it looks like both are using ASOP in a Linux container, the only difference being the way that they handle display.
              - andbox leverage the same kind of infrastructure used by VM-based solutions like shashlik and initially designed to forward display from whithin a virtual machine as part (for development/debugging of apps)
              - spurv leverage the display driver infrastructure and make the wayland window appear as a hardware diplay to AOSP.

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
              I think this would be a good fit for Librem 5.
              Librem might be wanting the little higher isolation used by andbox's display solution (if i've understood that correctly).

But otherwise :
              - there are potential of collaboration and shared development with andbox
              (and Jolla's newest anlien-dalvik is based on containers too, so there might be opportunity to work together there too)
              - any other "full blown GNU/Linux on smartphone" distro might be interested too
              (UBPorts' Ubuntu Touch, Jolla's Sailfish OS for device that don't get an official aliendalvik compatibility layer (= basically all community ports) and of course the people doing weird shit with Gentoo, ArchLinux or Debian/Raspbian/Armbian).
              - also backed by Collabora so at least some ressources available.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                It seems like a different approach than Anbox. But not sure which one is better/more compatible/faster.
                Will one of these be a good solution for watching Netflix on my linux HTPC with +720p resolution? Switch from Kodi to one of these for example? Using the browser the resolution of videos is still limited AFAIK. Maybe using the keyboard on the Netflix app is even an option, which is not possible in the browser..

Comment

I'd also like to know if it can let you run the Netflix app. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by LxFx View Post

Will one of these be a good solution for watching Netflix on my linux HTPC with +720p resolution? Switch from Kodi to one of these for example? Using the browser the resolution of videos is still limited AFAIK. Maybe using the keyboard on the Netflix app is even an option, which is not possible in the browser..
                    Netflix (and other things) require DRM on Android for HD resolution. The DRM is called Widevine. It has various levels. I'm pretty sure that this VM would not support it.

Comment

Working...
                    X