Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Reportedly Not Planning To Enable Wayland-By-Default For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    C'mon, are they non-binary, genderfluid, testicle- or womb-bearing people of non-descriptive origin or MICE?! Just risk a little and get it done!
    If you want to be inclusive just saying people is much better. Is MICE an acronym for Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      I using Wayland for a half year, but until at least XWayland get updated to version that support fullscreen Vulkan applications, it's shouldn't be enabled by default. PipeWire also need to get properly tested and deployed by default.
      Well. Everyone has their pet peeve. It's easy to reverse your statement as well. Something like "Until the X protocol is made secure, X shouldn't be enabled by default" is a valid point too.

Comment

Too bad they had to waste everyone's time with Mir or else we'd have likely seen this all working by now.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          I using Wayland for a half year, but until at least XWayland get updated to version that support fullscreen Vulkan applications, it's shouldn't be enabled by default. PipeWire also need to get properly tested and deployed by default.
          NIH-syndrome can be a cancer.

Comment

Maybe in decade so with 30.04 things would be there Then they could plan to 128bit switch, with a plan 40.04 to drop 64bit images

Let alone how In 20 years we could switch to old CoC too and of course to call it a day because that is different than good night

Comment

Actually I doubt Wayland will be production-ready in the next few years. Still a long long way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
                Actually I doubt Wayland will be production-ready in the next few years.
                It won't be really production ready even in entire next decade, altough switch somewhere in the middle is probably expected...

Ubuntu 24.04 and Debian 13 sounds like it Even if they are pushing it as default earlier, majorty in masse won't use it anyway... so there is no point What is the point of making something default, if you are expecting users to disable it?

That is like Windows Vista or Windows 8 pushovers, majorty just ignored these
                Last edited by dungeon; 25 March 2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Wayland has been working nicely for me, except in a few edge cases. But overall, I'd definitely recommend to go for it, and polish the rough edges along the way. Xwayland works pretty well for most applications, even games (the only issue I found was with Planetary Anihilation displaying a dark screen, but it also has a few issues on X as well -- you get the dark screen with --software-ui as well). Pointer confinment and all.

Anyway, I'm a happy sway user right now

A friend of mine also worked around horrible tearing on his vertical monitor by switching his ubuntu session over to wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    C'mon, are they non-binary, genderfluid, testicle- or womb-bearing people of non-descriptive origin or MICE?! Just risk a little and get it done!
                    You're asking if they're a <liberal insult> or <conservative insult>?

Well, if you mean redefining things for no other reason than for the sake of radical change, vs. cowardly decisions that will end up keeping proven stability, I think it's wise that you aren't making business decisions for them.

Comment

So long as they continue to work on expunging old Unix-era code, I'm all for waiting until Wayland is properly ready.

Comment

Working...
                      X