Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Reportedly Not Planning To Enable Wayland-By-Default For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland has no business in Ubuntu to begin with. Its proper place is the trash bin.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
      Hm this is unfortunate
      Have been using GS-Wayland for years know and IMO we are very close to feature parity (and in more and more areas even better, e.g. HIDPI with fractional scaling).

And the feature I'm looking for the most is the security benefit. Ubuntu doesn't seem to be that interested in Flatpak anyways, but proper app isolation like on adroid/iOS is simply not possible with X11 (and no, starting an own X11 server for every app, breaking even the clipboard, is no viable solution)
      Starting with Android Q, clipboard access has been restricted (so forget about clipboard managers), so I see no reason why you wouldn't get used to that already on Linux with X11 ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        Also, gnome on wayland still has a giant deal-breaking flaw. No crash recovery. Any gnome-shell crash loses your entire session.
        People keep saying that that's a G-S on Wayland issue, but I just had a Plasma on X11 crash and my entire session was gone, had to re-login. So it happens on X11 too (maybe not with GNOME Shell, but at least with Plasma, as I just proved).

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
          Currently some dxvk games (dark souls 2 for example) don't run in wayland session even through xwwyland, smplayer show mpv detached unless worst output mode (xv) is selected. New and fancy freesync support works with xorg only. No, wayland still far from production state.
          I just had a non-recoverable Plasma crash on X11. X11 also misses the extra security benefits of Wayland and HiDPI fractional scaling. No, X11 is still far from production state.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            C'mon, are they non-binary, genderfluid, testicle- or womb-bearing people of non-descriptive origin or MICE?! Just risk a little and get it done!
            The potentially most genius thing about this comment is that, in trying to be comically inclusive, it misses the "are they brave adults?" point of using "men" the original statement.

(The best example of this is "Be a man!" ...the inclusive equivalent is "Grow up!", plain and simple.)

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              Well on Fedora I happen to try Wayland from time to time. I still have two major pain points: file drag and drop doesn't work in Nautilus, screensaver (a.k.a. turn off your display after 3 min in GNOME) doesn't work as well; I just have a black screen with the cursor still shown, the display is never turned off.

IMO these two features are pretty important in a desktop environment.
              Hm, both of these work for me. What exactly doesn't work in Nautilus?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Too bad they had to waste everyone's time with Mir or else we'd have likely seen this all working by now.
                Mir might actually have worked, as opposed to Wayland which is fast losing escape velocity and is starting to look like OS/2.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I just looked up some dates: this time next year Wayland will be 11. That's about half the age at which X was when Wayland set to displace it because it was old and unwieldy.
                  This just proves I was right back then when I said it won't be easy to displace such an entrenched solution. People booed me at the time.
                  I think that's a little disingenuous.

Wayland was a 1-man hobby project for years, it certainly wasn't being taken seriously by anyone for that time. Also, X is at least 35 years old - 11 vs 35 isn't really "half".

I'm sure people on here did boo you, but that's because people are idiots. Anyone who seriously looked at it knew that it was going to take a long time to move away from X - that's precisely why it had never happened before and most people were resigned to it never happening, ever, before Wayland finally started picking up steam.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 25 March 2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

Mir might actually have worked, as opposed to Wayland which is fast losing escape velocity and is starting to look like OS/2.
                    That's pretty funny considering Mir actually failed entirely, while Wayland is still being actively used and planned to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      This just proves I was right back then when I said it won't be easy to displace such an entrenched solution. People booed me at the time.
                      I wouldn't say "entrenched", as there isn't that much "fighting back" from the Xorg people. It's more like most projects are very short on manpower so they implement their side very slowly.

Comment

Working...
                      X