Wayland 1.17 Released With Updated Protocol & Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Can somebody implement a permission system on X please? I want to respond.
    I don't know.
    But in Wayland applications cant snoop on other applications.
    While on X.Org Server any application can listen on keystrokes intended for another application.

X could also have this property.
    I don't think so. X have 30+ years of baggage.
    Wayland is very simple, its basically just a render context.

Also, where's my middle click paste? Why does it take down my entire desktop when the compositor crashes? Can I have server-side decorations on every Wayland compositor? (if GNOME does not want so, it does not mean everyone has to follow)
    Have two sets of clipboards is confusing for many users. The benefit in favor of it is arguably weak.
    Yeah, that sucks the entire desktop goes down when the compositor crashes. I guess it would be good with a compositor written in Rust.
    It is not just GNOME that don't want server-side decorations, I think Wayland have a architecture similar to Windows 10 and macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Yeah, that sucks the entire desktop goes down when the compositor crashes.
      As a GNOME user, I can say this used to suck back when there were bugs causing compositor crashes, but these days it's 100% stable for me on three different systems currently on GNOME 3.30.2

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

As a GNOME user, I can say this used to suck back when there were bugs causing compositor crashes, but these days it's 100% stable for me on three different systems currently on GNOME 3.30.2
        I experienced a freeze followed by a crash some weeks ago when I clicked on a URL in HexChat that was supposed to open in Firefox.

Comment

Have two sets of clipboards is confusing for many users. The benefit in favor of it is arguably weak.
          For me it is very useful. Sometimes I have a URL copied in one clipboard, and a piece of code in the other. I feel it's easier to just select a piece of text and being able to paste it somewhere with a middle click.

Yeah, that sucks the entire desktop goes down when the compositor crashes. I guess it would be good with a compositor written in Rust.
          Rust is also capable of crashing, although prevents many crashes.

It is not just GNOME that don't want server-side decorations, I think Wayland have a architecture similar to Windows 10 and macOS.
          Both Windows 10 and macOS have SSD as well.

Comment

Working...
          X