Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland 1.17 Released With Updated Protocol & Other Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    When i ran GNOME under Wayland the window positioning is often bad. I much prefer the window positioning in X.
    When opening an application in GNOME on X then it opens somewhere around the center or where it was last opened.
    But GNOME under Wayland often opens them in the top-left corner always.
    Easy way to resolve top left positioning of window via Tweak application:
    - Select Windows tab and turn Center New Window on.

    That method also works on Gnome Wayland as tested on Fedora 29 and should also apply to the latest stable Ubuntu.

    Originally posted by You- View Post
    The window position on Wayland does still need some work - it will probably require a new protocol extension
    No need as the issue is mostly related on the settings from the desktop environment i.e Gnome Shell.

    Last edited by finalzone; 03-22-2019, 02:16 AM.

    Comment


    • #12
      I'd like to report that the input lag that used to ruin first person shooters on xwayland in older versions is mostly gone. When comparing playing CS:GO on Xorg and xwayland using Arch nowadays, I only notice that on xwayland it is slightly laggier than Xorg, very little.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by finalzone View Post

        Easy way to resolve top left positioning of window via Tweak application:
        - Select Windows tab and turn Center New Window on.

        That method also works on Gnome Wayland as tested on Fedora 29 and should also apply to the latest stable Ubuntu.


        No need as the issue is mostly related on the settings from the desktop environment i.e Gnome Shell.
        But you don't always want it on the center.
        You want some kind of algorithm with intelligent positions.
        So that if you open an app, then another app, then it can maybe open where there is free space on the desktop.
        Or if you open two of the same applications, then they can open slightly below the right, so that you can still see the the titles of both.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Then why not use X?
          I do use X at the moment. It does work better than Wayland.
          Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland if your applications are still going to have to run in X via XWayland.
          So Wayland will become more appealing once Firefox support is finalized, stable and mature.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
            Electron doesnt need Wayland supports, it needs to die.
            I don't know where you get that from.
            But Electron is built upon Chromium, so once Chromium gets support for Wayland then Electron can inherit it.

            https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/9056
            https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/10915

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland
              Which are?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Which are?
                Well, if I am going to run everything through XWayland, then whats the point of using Wayland. Then tha is just extra overhead, and I might aswayll just run X.Org Server instead.

                So for Wayland to be compelling, then the software that I most commonly use needs run native on Wayland.
                So for me, that is Firefox.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post

                  Well, if I am going to run everything through XWayland, then whats the point of using Wayland. Then tha is just extra overhead, and I might aswayll just run X.Org Server instead.

                  So for Wayland to be compelling, then the software that I most commonly use needs run native on Wayland.
                  So for me, that is Firefox.
                  You misunderstood my question.

                  What I meant is, what are the benefits of using a Wayland compositor over X.Org? I asked that since you said "Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland", which implies Wayland has benefits, but I am not aware of any *real* benefits...

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                    You misunderstood my question.

                    What I meant is, what are the benefits of using a Wayland compositor over X.Org? I asked that since you said "Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland", which implies Wayland has benefits, but I am not aware of any *real* benefits...
                    It is more secure. Applications cannot spy on other applications.
                    Perhaps it is more secure.
                    Perhaps more light-weight. Perhaps less overhead.
                    Perhaps renders smoother and less frame skips and jitter.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post

                      It is more secure. Applications cannot spy on other applications.
                      Perhaps it is more secure.
                      Can somebody implement a permission system on X please? I want to respond.

                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Perhaps more light-weight. Perhaps less overhead.
                      X could also have this property.

                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Perhaps renders smoother and less frame skips and jitter.
                      My patched KWin also has this feature.

                      Also, where's my middle click paste? Why does it take down my entire desktop when the compositor crashes? Can I have server-side decorations on every Wayland compositor? (if GNOME does not want so, it does not mean everyone has to follow)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X