X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Both use WebKit-GTK and the bugs preventing any of either browser to be a serious contender for default web browser are in WebKit-GTK. It makes no sense to start bikeshedding as long as Red Hat thinks that wasting time on Firefox makes more sense than to assign a developer to work on WebKit-GTK.
    I didn't mean to say Eolie should be the de-facto default, I just meant that IF they want to ship a more GNOME-like default browser, they should go for Eolie rather than GNOME Web. But you're right about the bugs.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Please no. GNOME Web is a disastrous app. If anything, the other web browser from the GNOME camp, Eolie, should be the default.
    Both use WebKit-GTK and the bugs preventing any of either browser to be a serious contender for default web browser are in WebKit-GTK. It makes no sense to start bikeshedding as long as Red Hat thinks that wasting time on Firefox makes more sense than to assign a developer to work on WebKit-GTK.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Adopting GTK 3+ seems to take long for other projects too. For example XFCE announced GTK3 plans around 4 years ago. XFCE's a rather minimal DE which shouldn't take too long.

In fact if you compare the screenshot from 2018 here
    - https://i0.wp.com/fosspost.org/wp-co...50%2C392&ssl=1
    and
    - https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap

you'll see that xfce4-session has regressed backwards. From 100% to 99%. No progress on xfwm4 in over a year.

Also GTK3 GIMP is still WIP even though GIMP started the whole GTK. GIMP developers have probably the best knowledge of GTK on this planet. So how can it take so long?

Isn't that related to Wayland? It's not possible to optimize the video decoding and overlays before Wayland is available?
    I assume because GTK+3 is very different from GTK+2. If Qt were to break the ABI like GTK did from 2 to 3, you'd have the same issue.

But in GIMP's case, it has more to do with the fact that they wanted to add some important features and stuff first, in other words: they had different priorities.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    slightly OT:
    shouldn't Gnome Web be the default browser on the default Gnome Desktop distro?
    If not, why wasting programming force?
    Please no. GNOME Web is a disastrous app. If anything, the other web browser from the GNOME camp, Eolie, should be the default.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov
    This is insane. I bet electricity got adopted faster in the 19th century than Wayland in the 21st.
    Electricity doesn't suck though.

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    I used firefox-wayland on Fedora 29 for about a month and never had any issues. That doesn't mean there aren't any issues, but it probably works well enough for many users. Would've been cool if they shipped firefox-wayland by default and then had a firefox-x11 package for those having issues with the wayland backend.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Does Wayland require AMD DC stack?
    No.

When I last tried, it seemed like only GDM supported Wayland. There hasn't been any code commits to lightdm in 7 months..
    Either use Gnome and start its Wayland session via GDM, or simply start any other Wayland compositor via .bash_profile on log in.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow
    uid will be sad...
    I don't use Fedora, I use Ubuntu.
    I tried Firefox nightly under Wayland, it works, but it have some bugs involving shadow on menus.

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
    It is not just Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice suite also need to support Wayland. In other words give it another 5 years.
    Also Chromium, Electron (Atom, Skype, Visual Studio Code, etc), GIMP, and VLC.

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    I ask those who have expertise in the matter, it's so complicated to bring an application from Xorg to native Wayland ?
    It depends on the application. If it is a small application or a big application. If its a fresh application, or if its a old application using old and deprecated APIs.
    If it a simple or complex application that implements its own way of doing things and directly does X11 calls.

I coded a GTK application using Python and it works great in both X and Wayland. There is no X-specific or Wayland-specific code. It is just GTK calls.

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    shouldn't Gnome Web be the default browser on the default Gnome Desktop distro?
    It is, but distributions are free to pick-and-chose what software to ship.
    So some distributions can chose to ship the GNOME desktop with GNOME Web, others are free to ship a GNOME-based distribution with Firefox or Chromium.

Originally posted by Aeder View Post
    Not surprising. When this was first announced I mentioned that the bug tracker was still full of bugs blocking wayland (40+). It remains full of bugs.

I don't think announcing you want to do something is magically going to get all the roadblocks to disappear.
    Link to list of Wayland-related bugs in Firefox: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134
    What to consider is not only the amount of bugs, but the significance of the bugs, i.e. which bugs are minor and which are blocking.
    NEW (stransky) in Core - Graphics. Last updated 2019-03-18.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It would make things better overall. GTK is just a mess. That's not Wayland specific. I suppose Firefox developers are so insistent on using GTK and even let already existing Qt Firefox branch die out, due to RedHat being heavy backers of Gnome and one of the major sponsors of Firefox Linux development. Since they are focused on GTK, Firefox tags along

Overall progress of Firefox on Linux feels quite slow. For instance hardware accelerated video encoding / decoding is missing for years and nobody seems to be working on it. This makes for example using Firefox with WebRTC on weaker laptops close to impossible due to CPU bottlenecking. I'm saying it as a long time Firefox user who doesn't use Chromium.
    Firefox doesn't use GTK for its widgets/UI, it just inherits it's colours and styles from it, similar to Chrome.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Using Thunderbird-Wayland and Firefox-Wayland on daily basis with default setting. Only issue is when enabling OpenGL compositing on some systems. So far, both Thunderbird and Firefox on Wayland run smoothly on AMD Ryzen 2500u using latest stable amdgpu driver.

Code:
    Compositing OpenGL
    GPU #1
    Active Yes
    Description X.Org -- AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.27.0, 4.20.15-200.fc29.x86_64, LLVM 7.0.1)
    Vendor ID X.Org
    Device ID AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.27.0, 4.20.15-200.fc29.x86_64, LLVM 7.0.1)
    Driver Version 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.4
    Thunderbird60 ESR was a Mess of a release, which is why they held off till 60 instead of a tad earlier which would of made it more of a Mess than 60 ESR is now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X