• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Does Wayland require AMD DC stack?
    No.

When I last tried, it seemed like only GDM supported Wayland. There hasn't been any code commits to lightdm in 7 months..
    Either use Gnome and start its Wayland session via GDM, or simply start any other Wayland compositor via .bash_profile on log in.

Comment

I used firefox-wayland on Fedora 29 for about a month and never had any issues. That doesn't mean there aren't any issues, but it probably works well enough for many users. Would've been cool if they shipped firefox-wayland by default and then had a firefox-x11 package for those having issues with the wayland backend.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
        This is insane. I bet electricity got adopted faster in the 19th century than Wayland in the 21st.
        Electricity doesn't suck though.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          slightly OT:
          shouldn't Gnome Web be the default browser on the default Gnome Desktop distro?
          If not, why wasting programming force?
          Please no. GNOME Web is a disastrous app. If anything, the other web browser from the GNOME camp, Eolie, should be the default.

Comment

Adopting GTK 3+ seems to take long for other projects too. For example XFCE announced GTK3 plans around 4 years ago. XFCE's a rather minimal DE which shouldn't take too long.

In fact if you compare the screenshot from 2018 here
            - https://i0.wp.com/fosspost.org/wp-co...50%2C392&ssl=1
            and
            - https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap

you'll see that xfce4-session has regressed backwards. From 100% to 99%. No progress on xfwm4 in over a year.

Also GTK3 GIMP is still WIP even though GIMP started the whole GTK. GIMP developers have probably the best knowledge of GTK on this planet. So how can it take so long?

Isn't that related to Wayland? It's not possible to optimize the video decoding and overlays before Wayland is available?
            I assume because GTK+3 is very different from GTK+2. If Qt were to break the ABI like GTK did from 2 to 3, you'd have the same issue.

But in GIMP's case, it has more to do with the fact that they wanted to add some important features and stuff first, in other words: they had different priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Please no. GNOME Web is a disastrous app. If anything, the other web browser from the GNOME camp, Eolie, should be the default.
              Both use WebKit-GTK and the bugs preventing any of either browser to be a serious contender for default web browser are in WebKit-GTK. It makes no sense to start bikeshedding as long as Red Hat thinks that wasting time on Firefox makes more sense than to assign a developer to work on WebKit-GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Both use WebKit-GTK and the bugs preventing any of either browser to be a serious contender for default web browser are in WebKit-GTK. It makes no sense to start bikeshedding as long as Red Hat thinks that wasting time on Firefox makes more sense than to assign a developer to work on WebKit-GTK.
                I didn't mean to say Eolie should be the de-facto default, I just meant that IF they want to ship a more GNOME-like default browser, they should go for Eolie rather than GNOME Web. But you're right about the bugs.

Comment

Working...
                X