Wayland-Spun Firefox Is Being Given More Time To Get Ready For Fedora 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland-Spun Firefox Is Being Given More Time To Get Ready For Fedora 30

Phoronix: Wayland-Spun Firefox Is Being Given More Time To Get Ready For Fedora 30

Fedora 30 is aiming to ship with the Wayland native version of Firefox by default rather than relying upon XWayland. This Wayland-native Firefox has long been offered in the Fedora repository but not used as the default browser. While it's not all squared away yet, more time has been granted to get it ready for this spring update to Fedora...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did you mean... Wayland-Spin?

Comment

Doesn't the Firefox bug tracker still have several Wayland related bugs still open?

Comment

Wayland support for Firefox seems to be coming along fine.
        Here is a metabug which tracks all issues.
        NEW (stransky) in Core - Graphics. Last updated 2019-03-12.

Comment

Let's hope this gives lots of attention to the problem and get's it sorted.

Comment

About time. This is a big leap in the right direction.

Annoyingly, my laptop is the only system I use with Wayland, and, it's also the only system I own where I use Chromium. Personally, I wish Chrome(ium) got Wayland support first but I'm not in the slightest unhappy with Firefox's progress.

Comment

Try the chromium-ozone-wayland branch, you'll have to build it yourself though but it works great

Comment

It got somewhat unnoticed I think, but stransky also spun up a thunderbird-wayland package for fedora 29. He couldn't backport all wayland patches to the LTS core, but for me it's running great.

The Wayland work is AFAIK completely shared by FF and TB (it's all in 'core').

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  Try the chromium-ozone-wayland branch, you'll have to build it yourself though but it works great
                  Hey thank you! This can also use VAAPI so that's nice. I hope that maybe there will be an up-to-date copr, or rpmfusion version of it somewhere some day. I see https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...test/packages/ but that's 4 months old so..

Comment

This is good news. I like the idea of a replacement for X but so far Wayland seemed to be in practice a host for shims to run X apps. A native web browser is the most important thing Wayland could get, besides a terminal emulator.

Comment

Working...
                    X