X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    This is so true. Actually I see GNome as really benefiting from major refactoring. The KDE/Q crowd is trying to modernize with code more compliant with the latest C++ standards.

Which brings me to perhaps the biggest issue here, the code base is still largely C. While the timing probaly isn’t good for a switch to a modern language I really believe the Linux community must start looking at alternatives to C if we want to increase the quality of system software and apps. That means Rust, Swift or one of the other new breed of languages.
    Serious projects don't rewrite every 2-3 years to target <INSERT LATEST LANGUAGE HERE>. That's what UI devs do, granted, and they somehow manage to continue getting away with it ( money abounds ). Just because some Google dev has blogged about their hottest new creation, and managed to froth up some support amongst said UI devs ... it still doesn't mean anything, and goes by largely unnoticed by people working on serious projects.

Leave a comment:

• Grinch
    replied
    Originally posted by Slithery View Post
    Not only that, but by developing wlroots as well the author has created shoulders for other people to stand on.
    Indeed, as good as Sway may be, this is really the greatest contribution DeVault and the rest of the developers on the project have made.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    This is so true. Actually I see GNome as really benefiting from major refactoring. The KDE/Q crowd is trying to modernize with code more compliant with the latest C++ standards.

Which brings me to perhaps the biggest issue here, the code base is still largely C. While the timing probaly isn’t good for a switch to a modern language I really believe the Linux community must start looking at alternatives to C if we want to increase the quality of system software and apps. That means Rust, Swift or one of the other new breed of languages.
    Great. When can they expect a pull request from you?

As nice as it would be for everyone to shift over to Rust, the truth is that these are large pre-existing code bases and calling for a full rewrite in another language, especially a shift such as from c to rust is an immense if not insurmountable amount of work. It's honestly easier to just make something entirely new.

Leave a comment:

• Slithery
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    I doubt this project will be enough to sway Nvidia.
    Ba dum tiss

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by mskarbek View Post

Now only if nvidia played nicely.
    I doubt this project will be enough to sway Nvidia.

Silly puns aside, I do really like this project and I want to congratulate everyone involved. Once it hits Debian Unstable repos it's going to have a permanent spot on my PC, so thank you very much everyone who contributed

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    Sway just proves that often it does make sense to start from scratch. Imagine KDE or Gnome made from scratch... so many silly things can be done differently.

Leave a comment:

• Slithery
    replied
    Originally posted by Slithery View Post
    ...this should be in the repos in a few hours...
    Silly me for underestimating, it's only been 27 minutes since I posted that and we're ready to roll

Thanks Jerome. Can now install my OS with no additional repos needed

Leave a comment:

• mskarbek
    replied
    Originally posted by swoorup View Post
    Now only if it played nice with my stupid nvidia GPU
    Now only if nvidia played nicely.

Leave a comment:

• swoorup
    replied
    Now only if it played nice with my stupid nvidia GPU

Leave a comment:

• Slithery
    replied
    Not only that, but by developing wlroots as well the author has created shoulders for other people to stand on.

This is someone that has not only just written a new compositor but also laid a foundation for others to build on with the goal of a common standard.

Hats off to you Drew, you're doing an excellent job
    Last edited by Slithery; 11 March 2019, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X