Sway 1.0 Released For This i3-Compatible Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

I guess it depends what you mean by 'developer'. If you're talking about dime-a-dozen java 'developers' ... <yawn> ... and as for the rest, if there were such a movement of talented devs who wanted to write apps in something else, then what you're talking about would already be here ... we'd all be writing desktop apps in some god-aweful reesarch project like Go or NodeJS or whatever was in fashion.

Anyway, as people say ... patches accepted.
    ESR is part of an effort to rewrite the NTP daemon in Go for improved maintainability and I'd hardly call him a dime-a-dozen Java developer.

That's really the big advantage of languages like Go and Rust. Improved onboarding for new developers on the team... possibly including yourself after a multi-year hiatus.
    Last edited by ssokolow; 03-15-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
      As for ergonomics mattering to 'most developers' ... I guess it depends what you mean by 'developer'. If you're talking about dime-a-dozen java 'developers' ... <yawn> ... and as for the rest, if there were such a movement of talented devs who wanted to write apps in something else, then what you're talking about would already be here ... we'd all be writing desktop apps in some god-aweful reesarch project like Go or NodeJS or whatever was in fashion.
      Well, talented or no, these spoiled developers who want to have good language ergonomics are the ones who write the apps we use daily on other platforms (Windows, macOS, iOS and Android). Also most of the web apps we use are written in these "god-aweful research projects", so yeah... What matters at the end of the day is if the product is useful and not the engineering behind it. We on Desktop Linux need to get off the high horse rather quickly before we fall even more into irrelevance.

Comment

Those screenshots made my day.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          We on Desktop Linux need to get off the high horse rather quickly before we fall even more into irrelevance.
          Oh dear! I think you are dramatically misunderstanding the situation. I'm not some linux-desktop-gatekeeper, sitting on my 'high horse' and blocking you from developing your desktop apps in your toy language ( and as I pointed out, there are bindings for your toy language already ). I'm a developer, doing things the way I want to. Other developers are doing the things they want to. The situation is what it is. What are YOU doing? Where are YOUR patches to re-implement linux desktop libraries in a toy language? What efforts have you gone to to ensure that after this unnecessary rewrite, all supported language bindings will continue to work? I'm pretty sure your attitude would be that everyone should "get with the program" and use your toy language, and all the other languages can go to hell, right? Out of interest ... got a github profile?

Comment

Working...
          X