Mir 1.1.1 RC1 Has Fixes For PostmarketOS, Demo Shells Using Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 1.1.1 RC1 Has Fixes For PostmarketOS, Demo Shells Using Wayland

Phoronix: Mir 1.1.1 RC1 Has Fixes For PostmarketOS, Demo Shells Using Wayland

Mir 1.1 was released back in December as the first post-1.0 feature update while now preparing for release is the Mir 1.1.1 maintenance milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this run on Unity or are there any plans that this will run on Unity? I mean, why would they else invest so much effort on Mir?!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      Does this run on Unity or are there any plans that this will run on Unity? I mean, why would they else invest so much effort on Mir?!
      I don't know what you mean.
      Mir is a display server, Unity is a DE (a graphical user interface) that was designed to run with Mir's own native protocol (that was supposed to be so much better than Wayland and also be ready sooner).

Since after they dropped Unity they have put full steam in the backup plan, since their own "native protocol" was similar to Wayland anyway, they are converting Mir to become a Wayland compositor. Like Kwin for KDE or Mutter for GNOME, but it seems to be more generic so it could be used by smaller DE projects like MATE or XFCE.

Also, Afaik Mir is part of distros and embedded device "distros" (where it would be supposedly be a display server for whatever GUI the actual device manufacturer develops in it) that are still supported so they can't just let it rot yet.

Comment

Why can't you say "why would they else invest so much effort on wlroots or libweston?!"?

Mir is just another base for a Wayland compositor. They aim to see uses in the "Internet of Things" industry.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Mir is a display server, Unity is a DE (a graphical user interface) that was designed to run with Mir's own native protocol (that was supposed to be so much better than Wayland and also be ready sooner).

Since after they dropped Unity they have put full steam in the backup plan, since their own "native protocol" was similar to Wayland anyway, they are converting Mir to become a Wayland compositor. Like Kwin for KDE or Mutter for GNOME, but it seems to be more generic so it could be used by smaller DE projects like MATE or XFCE.

Also, Afaik Mir is part of distros and embedded device "distros" (where it would be supposedly be a display server for whatever GUI the actual device manufacturer develops in it) that are still supported so they can't just let it rot yet.
          Yeah, I know. Canonicals Gnome fork looks like Unity, so I called it Unity. My question is, why do they this effort? I don't see Wayland-Mir running on any Canonical product.

Comment

Yeah, I know. Canonicals Gnome fork looks like Unity, so I called it Unity. My question is, why do they this effort? I don't see Wayland-Mir running on any Canonical product.
            As I hinted, it's part of their embedded device "distro" (Ubuntu Core), which is supported for more than 5 years from now and supposed to be a one-stop-shop for companies that want to develop an embedded device firmware that needs a GUI and is relatively powerful.

This is one of their example Wayland GUI applications you could develop for your project if you use Ubuntu Core https://developer.ubuntu.com/core/examples/snaps-on-mir

Comment

Snaps...no thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Maybe he means UBports' Unity fork?

Comment

Working...
                X