Sway 1.0 Close To Release For This Very Promising Wayland Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Yep, he is right to have firm position on rejecting Nvidia blob junk.
    My position is opposite, I believe users should have a choice and not be left out, it is unfair, what harm does is have couple more if statement and separate .c file for eglstream specific code? The eglstream code doesn't have to be on par with Mesa GBM, it could sit there unfinished and wait for potential contributors, no software is complete or bug free. If Drew himself would end up stuck with Nvidia GPU and proprietary driver he would quickly reconsider.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
      If Drew himself would end up stuck with Nvidia GPU and proprietary driver he would quickly reconsider.
      You can use Nouveau with Nvidia GPU if you are stuck. Or avoid buying their hardware to begin with. There is no need for compositor developers to support the blob. And if it's so easy, let Nvidia contribute the code.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        My position is opposite, I believe users should have a choice and not be left out, it is unfair, what harm does is have couple more if statement and separate .c file for eglstream specific code? The eglstream code doesn't have to be on par with Mesa GBM, it could sit there unfinished and wait for potential contributors, no software is complete or bug free. If Drew himself would end up stuck with Nvidia GPU and proprietary driver he would quickly reconsider.
        I don't know any other way to say this, but someone has to push back against Nvidia when they decide to do their own thing. I'm glad Sway is joining Plasma in the "only support the open standards" party.

To make a retarded analogy, pretend computers are cars, GPUs are rims for tires, and tires are window managers. Nvidia makes a square rim and wants all the tire manufacturers to either make a square to circle adapter or to design their tires around a square rim. Instead, the tire manufacturers, Plasma and Sway, said we're only going to support the round tire and rim standard that all the other tire and rim manufacturers follow.

As far as user choice, we do have a choice when we buy our GPU. We can buy Nvidia and have a great gaming experience, closed drivers, and limited open source support or we can buy AMD and have a good gaming experience, open drivers, and full open source support.
        Last edited by skeevy420; 12 February 2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

Ew the r/linux subreddit. Who would want to go there?
          You do realize you're posting this in the Phoronix forums don't you? Plenty of people around the interwebs think that way about here.

Comment

Working...
          X