The Latest NVIDIA EGLStreams Wayland Backend Code Under Review For KDE/KWin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    If it's still no accelerated XWayland support then Nvidia GNOME and KDE on Wayland is a no go. Accelerated XWayland is a must because of Steam.
    Can you please explain how wayland and steam are related?

Comment

All this effort while they could work on a vendor agnostic Vulkan compositor...

Comment

Did hell freeze over?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Can you please explain how wayland and steam are related?
          Allow me to explain on his behalf. Steam and all the games support only X11 and nVidia's Wayland support provide no acceleration for X11 apps running under Wayland. In other words, if you run Wayland with nVidia you will not be able to run any games because you have no hardware acceleration. So yeah, if you don't run games then you should be fine with an nVidia chipset in Wayland, but then if you don't play games why would you bother getting an nVidia GPU in the first place?

Comment

This is awesome news! While i'm not a NVIDIA person anymore, i'm glad to see them working on this. Hopefully this means more people will use Wayland and that we'll see more bugs squashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              If it's still no accelerated XWayland support then Nvidia GNOME and KDE on Wayland is a no go. Accelerated XWayland is a must because of Steam.
              Steam client itself doesn't dictate whether something needs XWayland or not. I.e. some game can be using SDL2 and work fine on Wayland natively. Some older games though need XWayland indeed if they rely on X directly, as well as Wine which is a big use case of course. But it's not a Steam issue, it's Wine's and games' issue (same applies to GOG games and any others).

Anyway, I'd say, if you want to use Wayland when gaming, just switch to AMD, don't even bother with Nvidia.
              Last edited by shmerl; 31 January 2019, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                All this effort while they could work on a vendor agnostic Vulkan compositor...
                Could it? because they are talking about memory allocation on a device which happens below GL/Vulkan does it not?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Could it? because they are talking about memory allocation on a device which happens below GL/Vulkan does it not?
                  From NoVydia itself:
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Steam client itself doesn't dictate whether something needs XWayland or not. I.e. some game can be using SDL2 and work fine on Wayland natively. Some older games though need XWayland indeed if they rely on X directly, as well as Wine which is a big use case of course. But it's not a Steam issue, it's Wine's and games' issue (same applies to GOG games and any others).

Anyway, I'd say, if you want to use Wayland when gaming, just switch to AMD, don't even bother with Nvidia.
                    Yes, but so far it is extremely seldom to find games that work on Wayland directly even if SDL2 is used. So we have to rely on XWayland too much in the foreseeable future for gaming and then AMD is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Allow me to explain on his behalf
                      Thank.
                      He meant hardware acceleration of X under Wayland. I see what you guys are talking about now.
                      It's nice that SDL2 can make whole choice between Wayland and X obsolete...

Comment

Working...
                      X