The Latest NVIDIA EGLStreams Wayland Backend Code Under Review For KDE/KWin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest NVIDIA EGLStreams Wayland Backend Code Under Review For KDE/KWin

Phoronix: The Latest NVIDIA EGLStreams Wayland Backend Code Under Review For KDE/KWin

Back in November is when NVIDIA announced they were developing an EGLStreams-based back-end for KDE's KWin so the KDE Wayland session could run with their proprietary graphics driver similar to GNOME's EGLStreams support. That latest code is now under review...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...GLStreams-KWin

Hopefully this year I'll be able to switch to wayland!!

Comment

I hope the code is better than the code submitted to gnome - I have read complaints about it not being very stable.

Comment

Please note that the link in the article goes straight to the in-progress review. Please avoid commenting there unless you're a KWin expert and it's pertinent to the code under review.

Comment

Interesting, but I wish there would be more effort to enable Wayland compositors using common Vulkan paths. Looks like there is still work needed to get there.

Comment

Didn't expect that this would be available that fast. I think this will help Wayland adoption on Kwin!

Comment

How is the EGLStream support in Gnome anyway? Does it actually work or you still have no hardware acceleration for XWayland?

Comment

I must say that I'm happy that the KDE developers stood their ground and didn't move a finger for the worst company ever.
                Other than that, I really don't care if KDE has better support for Nvidia since none of my computers have a Nvidia GPU anymore.

Comment

Nvidia, your whole approach to Linux drivers is appalling, but thank you for at least having at least the decency to contribute this.

Comment

If it's still no accelerated XWayland support then Nvidia GNOME and KDE on Wayland is a no go. Accelerated XWayland is a must because of Steam.

Comment

Working...
                    X