Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Alex, preventing other users from accessing your display is one of the explicit goals of Wayland.

So I have to say, "You're doing it wrong."

Leave a comment:

• alex79
    replied
    Recently I tried Feodra 29 Gnome with Wayland and can't say it was a pleasure. Visualy polished, very pleasant to look at, smooth no crashes. However, as soon as I wanted to open anything with root privilage ie file manager it's like banging your head against the wall. Way too long I've spent looking for solution without success. If it wasn't for that I would probably leave it on my laptop but for now I'll stick to Kubuntu, untill I find solutions to the problem.
    Laptop is T450s, all Intel hardware.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Because Arcan's goal isn't to replace Xorg,
    why did you mention it in comment #27 then?
    It's also not Mazda's goal to replace Ford
    you are confusing goal with ability. every manufacturer's goal is to increase market share. which can only be done by replacing competition
    but it does have the same features.
    only in marketing clickbait. in reality it doesn't
    Last edited by pal666; 28 January 2019, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    lol, did you read "It is worthwhile to stress that this project in no way attempts to ‘replace’ Xorg" part?
    Because Arcan's goal isn't to replace Xorg, but it does have the same features. It's also not Mazda's goal to replace Ford, but that doesn't mean their cars can't have the same features. Also see @starshipeleven's post above yours.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    (but be sure to actually read it!)
    lol, did you read "It is worthwhile to stress that this project in no way attempts to ‘replace’ Xorg" part?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    No, you have no idea what it means. Here's a read (but be sure to actually read it!): https://arcan-fe.com/2018/10/17/arcan-versus-xorg-approaching-feature-parity/
    pal666 is technically right.

Xorg has a ton of obscure and obsolete crap features that are part of the X spec, and Arcan is NOT REALLY even trying to implement them. That's one of the main reasons it can get away with much less complexity.

The "feature parity" of Arcan is only with actual modern features used in the last 2 decades, which IN PRACTICE is the only thing that matters, as none in his right mind is ever going to use applications needing the obscure and obsolete crap features mentioned above.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you've no idea what feature parity means or what are x' features or both
    No, you have no idea what it means. Here's a read (but be sure to actually read it!): https://arcan-fe.com/2018/10/17/arcan-versus-xorg-approaching-feature-parity/

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    We already have something new that has feature parity with X, it's called Arcan.
    you've no idea what feature parity means or what are x' features or both

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
    On my laptop, I can't use Wayland because it is HiDPI and Fedora logs in using only 1/3 of available screen. The rest is all black. Animations are buggy and screen switcher does not show up (KDE). I'd use Wayland mostly because Laptop's touch screen sucks on X.

On my desktop, I could use Wayland but I have and need Nvidia drivers, so.. no Wayland for me.
    you can only blame yourself for choosing wrong de and wrong videocard vendor
    Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
    Last and foremost, I don't need Wayland at all. Everything is working fine on my end.
    don't upgrade your slakware 1.0 then and be happy

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Albert Einstein
    surely there are stupid people, but this is not limited to fedora devs, phoronix commenters are affected too. especially ones suggesting global breakage

Leave a comment:

Working...
X