X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    why would fedora or mutter developers break every legacy app? they are not so stupid

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Konstantin A. View Post
    I used firefox-wayland in f28, and it was crashing every few hours...

Gnome-shell under wayland, keeps crashing here and there in f29...

It's time i guess, after 10 years, to swallow their pride, and develop something new. I mean soon, it will start considered an old protocol...
    We already have something new that has feature parity with X, it's called Arcan.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    My browser tab (Firefox on X11) crashed when I opened this page, I'm not kidding! It does not crash often at all!

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    F29 does crash a bit more often than desired. That may be due to the AND GPU drivers but there is an issue that many of us note. Generally it involves a frozen video screen and an unresponsive keyboard.
    What is the hardware specification? I am running updated Fedora 29 Workstation on HP Envy x360 Ryzen 2500u with very little impact on performance and type on Firefox on Wayland with forced hardware acceleration enabled.

Leave a comment:

• JeansenVaars
    replied
    On my laptop, I can't use Wayland because it is HiDPI and Fedora logs in using only 1/3 of available screen. The rest is all black. Animations are buggy and screen switcher does not show up (KDE). I'd use Wayland mostly because Laptop's touch screen sucks on X.

On my desktop, I could use Wayland but I have and need Nvidia drivers, so.. no Wayland for me.

Last and foremost, I don't need Wayland at all. Everything is working fine on my end.
    Last edited by JeansenVaars; 25 January 2019, 08:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    all good things eventually come to their end!! I’m sure none of us want to revert to their Apple 2 or Z80 systems.
    System no, running apps, sure.

That isn’t to say Wayland is the right path but let’s face it X was getting long in the tooth.
    Well sounds like your brain is kinda getting long in the tooth too, might be older than Xorg if you are old enough.

Leave a comment:

• mulenmar
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Let me guess - Nvidia not supporting.
    FIFY.

Leave a comment:

• xiando
    replied
    F29 does crash a bit more often than desired. That may be due to the AND GPU drivers but there is an issue that many of us note. Generally it involves a frozen video screen and an unresponsive keyboard.
    While it could be viewed as a security risk it is in many cases possible to ssh into the machine when X is frozen if you have a sshd server running. You could login from another system or a phone or tablet. Saving dmesg > usefulfile.txt may be enough to give you a clue as to what went wrong.

It's not like you can just file a bug with the dmesg error output and have it fixed within days but it does let you find out if it's a common problem or not and sometimes you can find a workaround.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    Also note Plasma wayland doesn't fail for me either on ArchLinux(it do have glitches but those are explicit missing features that are coming in 5.15 so)
    Plasma Wayland is good, except for this nasty bugger: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313
    KDE developers have hard time fixing it so far.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    i really don't wanna be that guy but so far using gnome 3.30.2 on ArchLinux with Wayland session has been rock solid on my TAHITI GPU(R9-280 3Gb) and my CapeVerde(HD 7770) with Linux-zen and AMDGPU drivers. is it possible that something in fedora is triggering the crashes? and is not gnome?.

Also note Plasma wayland doesn't fail for me either on ArchLinux(it do have glitches but those are explicit missing features that are coming in 5.15 so)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X